Fred Sanford SCV 78

I remembered a couple things that were interesting about Fred Sanford  and SCV during the 78 season which was an exciting year to march in DCI.

Fred was always full of surprises.  There was one time when SCV was doing a show in Los Angeles on the campus of USC or UCLA.  As the drum line was warming up in preparation for the show, Fred walks up with Neil Diamond and says "Hey guys, I 'd like you to meet a friend of mine."  Neil sat down in front of the drum line and we played Lezghinka which was the drum solo Fred arranged from Khachaturian's Gayne Ballet. 

During the summer tour, he also had the drum line take a tour of the Slingerland factory  in Chicago to show us how the drums were constructed.  Starting from the various woods, how the shell is curved and plated and the time and effort that goes into crafting each drum as well as the various finishes.   Fred the consummate educator.  

Also, during the 78 season Larry McCormick filmed a drumline training video of SCV with Fred,   titled "Building the Section" .

At the same time, Larry McCormick also filmed a video featuring Rob Carson who was instructing the snare line.   It's interesting to note that Rob was teaching the snare line during the first tour and not marching.  One of the snares quit on tour.  Since Rob still had one year of eligibility, he marched the 2nd tour and continued to teach as well as winning the individual snare championship that year.  That's Ralph Hardimon sitting on the grass next to Rob during the film.  Quite a team of instructors that year,  Fred Sanford , Ralph Hardimon, Tony Romo and Rob.

Larry McCormick and SCV had also filmed a video in 1974 on the campus of the University of Michigan titled "Championship Marching Percussion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO50Ec5x9Q0

Another interesting fact about SCV and DCI Finals that year is that most of the members of the drum line had never seen the finished show and how the drill integrated with the music.  As a matter of fact, it was not until after Prelims in Boulder, Co when Pete Emmons (M&M Drill Design) showed us a high cam video of the entire show that we finally got to see the whole picture and were astounded at how it all fit together.  The scores were so close between the top 3 in 78 that Finals night in Mile High Stadium was intense. Phantom and SCV tied in prelims.  If I remember correctly Gail Royer and Phantom's director flipped a coin to see who would go on tenth and eleventh,  Since BD won the previous year in 77, they went on last.  I'm not sure but I think Gail won the toss but elected to go on tenth.  Phantom and SCV tied again in Finals but Phantom had a one tenth penalty for a dropped glove.

It was a fiercely competitive ending in 78 with BD at a 91.30, Phantom at a 91.45, and SCV at 91.55

Edited by HouserCD
Updated Information video links etc...
  • Like 4