How DCI members learn drill and how colorguard members learn work

I’ve been wondering how people in DCI learn drill, do they give it to them prior to them getting on the field so they can study it , or do they have it on the field and go from set to set , or is there another method to it ? Also , how does the colorguard write the show ? Do they write it beforehand and then just apply it to the field or do they write it ON the field at the moment? Last question , when do they determine who is in which lines ( like flag line , rifle line , sabre line ) ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christian Acosta said:

I’ve been wondering how people in DCI learn drill, do they give it to them prior to them getting on the field so they can study it , or do they have it on the field and go from set to set , or is there another method to it ? Also , how does the colorguard write the show ? Do they write it beforehand and then just apply it to the field or do they write it ON the field at the moment? Last question , when do they determine who is in which lines ( like flag line , rifle line , sabre line ) ? 

Yes and yes.  The members get it (or at least pieces of it) ahead of time, then while on the field will run it from set to set, then combine them into longer sections.  If you've done this in marching band, the basic idea is still the same.  Once the corps moves in for the summer, the real visual work begins. 

Guard writes their book beforehand (way beforehand, and involves guard staff, choreographers and others) , and spends an amazing amount of time working on it.

Welcome to DCP!  Hope that helps.

Mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Christian Acosta said:

Most groups will give out the members drill prior top teaching it. In many groups the members are required to combine the drill coordinates and music onto cards. This way they can find their spot and understand what the music is happening. I think the guard work is taught in two different ways. For staging features the work is written prior to teaching the drill. For transitions (especially tight areas) the work would be written after they learn the drill. I think a more interesting question would be who uses the dot method and who uses the form method in teaching and cleaning drill.  

• Thanks 1

I've worked with/talked to several guard instructors over the years... the three main approaches seem to be:  

1) Write all the choreography, then change it to fit the drill.

2) Wait for the drill, then write choreography around it.

3) Write features and major impact points beforehand (and change the drill to fit them), then write the rest based on the drill.  

In my experience, the least stressful and more successful is #3 when all is said and done, especially if the drill writer knows ahead of time.  #2 makes it super stressful on the guard members and instructors... no time to clean.  #1 tends not to work very well unless the instructor is really flexible/knowledgeable and the kids are more experienced.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

I've worked with/talked to several guard instructors over the years... the three main approaches seem to be:  

1) Write all the choreography, then change it to fit the drill.

2) Wait for the drill, then write choreography around it.

3) Write features and major impact points beforehand (and change the drill to fit them), then write the rest based on the drill.  

In my experience, the least stressful and more successful is #3 when all is said and done, especially if the drill writer knows ahead of time.  #2 makes it super stressful on the guard members and instructors... no time to clean.  #1 tends not to work very well unless the instructor is really flexible/knowledgeable and the kids are more experienced.  

This !

One also needs to look at a few other  factors .

1. Time ( actual time to teach as well as clean enough to be presentable )

2. experience ( staff as well as Members)

3. Co operation of other staff ( could mean design coordination , time , putting things together with all elements) etc.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Christian Acosta said:

Thanks for asking this and covering all the different aspects.  I have wondered the same thing but was too bashful to ask! 

On 1/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, DAvery said:

Most groups will give out the members drill prior top teaching it. In many groups the members are required to combine the drill coordinates and music onto cards. This way they can find their spot and understand what the music is happening. I think the guard work is taught in two different ways. For staging features the work is written prior to teaching the drill. For transitions (especially tight areas) the work would be written after they learn the drill. I think a more interesting question would be who uses the dot method and who uses the form method in teaching and cleaning drill.  

Whats the form method?

On 1/15/2018 at 12:54 PM, Mickk3 said:

Whats the form method?

This means that the performs adjust their dots on the fly to fit the form instead of marching to their dot no matter what.

I believe most corps teach the dots and then perform to the form.  Every marcher in every corps has a dot for each set (as far as I know).

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 5:49 PM, soccerguy315 said:

This means that the performs adjust their dots on the fly to fit the form instead of marching to their dot no matter what.

I believe most corps teach the dots and then perform to the form.  Every marcher in every corps has a dot for each set (as far as I know).

My high school did this, sort of.  We learned dots in band camp, then just dressed the crap out of the forms for the rest of the season with very little concern for the original "dots".  All about the intervals, baby!

Kind of cool... band camp video compared to final video showcase vastly different drill.  Like a game of visual Telephone! lol