All time shows: Madison Scouts

With 10 corps left and the holiday season over it's back to the old grind. This week we are headed to bitterly cold Madison Wisconsin to celebrate the Madison Scouts.

What are your top 1-5 Scouts shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- 2012 Bridgemania favorite

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for bras band favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Week 4- Spirit of Atlanta- 1980 favorite

Week 5- Carolina Crown- Favorite: 2015 Inferno; Least Favorite: 2017 ...It is

Week 6- The Mandarins- 2017 inside the ink for favorite.

Week 7- Boston Crusaders- 2000 RED is the favorite.

Week 8- Pioneer- 1996 Celtic Twilight is the favorite.

Week 9- Santa Clara Vanguard- 1999 Inventions for a New Millennium favorite. 1995 Not the Nutcracker least favorite.

Week 10- Oregon Crusaders 2014 Nevermore is the favorite

Week 11- The Crossmen- 1992 Songs for the Planet Earth is the favorite.

Week 12- The Cadets- 2011 Between Angels and Demons is the favorite. 2006 The Zone Part II least favorite.

Week 13 Corrps that are no longer with us. Every show is a winner!

Week 14 Genesis TIE 2016 Hell Hath No Fury and 2017 the other side of now.   Music City 2017 the tribe

Favorites

1997- That ovation from the crowd at the end just about says it all.  they came to play, and pillage, and I guess kill, and they succeeded at each.

1995- The Mellos at the beginning of Malaga, WOW!!!  Just pure fun and agression.

1975- Just a great show.  How can you argue with Dueling Banjos?!?!?!

• Like 2

1988- My obsession with Malaguena began as a freshman in highschool. I downloaded at least 20 performances from various organizations on Napster. This is by far my favorite to ever take the field. The rest of the show was good but 1988 takes the top spot just for Malaguena.

1975- what an awesome complete historical scouts show. MacArthur Park was very powerful. Their soprano soloist throughout the show was awesome and it's just a classic show from start to finish.

1995- drum corps fans dream a day in the life of a bull fighter.  I love Latin music on the field. Malaga was amazing.  A little on the clean and controlled side for Madison but still a great show.

1996 part DOS. Who doesn't love drum corps shows designed for the fans. Forget the judges.

2001- hot jazz Madison style. Yeah...it got 11th place but I love it.  Big bad dirty loud old school jazz. Yes please.

HMs

2017- last man standing. A bit off the deep end for Madison but I think it worked. They may have looked funny and strayed from Broadway and jazz but their big masculine sound and demeanor was back and they sounded and looked good in a show with a lot of GE.

2015 78th and Madison.  I am usually not a musical show person but I really enjoyed this one... particularly the guard dancing with the lady cut outs. Just a fun show from start to finish.

Least favorite

2016 Judas- rehashing Jesus Crist Superstar was not the answer to place better. Yuck.

Favorites:

1. 1995 - A Drum Corps Fan's Dream
  2. 1997 - The Pirates of Lake Mendota
  3. 1988 - Malaguena
  4. 1992 - City of Angels
  5. 2005 - The Carmen Project

HMs:

• 2015 - 78th & Madison
  • 1996 - A Drum Corps Fan's Dream, Part Dos

Least Favorite:

• 2009 - Relampago (I mean, really, what the hell?)

1. 1997. I could watch the pirate show all day.

2. 2003. Benoit Jutras and Madison work so well together.

3. 1998. I didn't get this show at first, but it has turned into a staple for me. In the Hall of the Mountain King is awesome, and Remembrance is one of the best closers ever!

4. 1996. Could watch this all day.

5. 1988. That energy, and this is also my second favorite version of Malaguena (No. 1 is Cadets 03).

6. 2004. That Malaga section is great, and the whole show was a blast to watch!

Also honorable mention to 2007. I get why it placed where it did, but man, this show has more unrealized potential than any other Madison show, possibly any other drum corps show. At the Quarters performance, I remember thinking it felt like watching a Top 12 Corps and a Top 12 Show in June.

Favorite...... 95 and 75

Least Favorite....... 2017

My favorite Madison show is hands down, 1999 "Jesus Christ, Superstar." 

1978 with all Bernstein was great. True, in a few short years Garfield Cadets would own "West Side Story" but this was a great old school Madison performance. 

Full Disclosure: if there is a news segment of a parent in the military coming home to their unsuspecting children, I am moved. I even watch and enjoy  the Hallmark Channel at Christmas and sometimes admit it. Baseball movies like "Field of Dreams" and "The Rookie" move me and don't get me started on "A Dog's Purpose." So naturally 2013 is on my list. 

1985 loved that show, especially the piano at the finale of "Rhapsody in Blue."

i enjoyed both "City of Angels" shows as well as 1996 "Drum Corps Lovers Dream Part Dos," and they are shows I listen to frequently (fortunately I downloaded them when I could). 

It doesn't take much for me to find something I love in a Madison show, even if it is only one portion, though I will say 2017 was too dark and minus the Madison sound, but they showed they are not afraid to take a risk, which for Madison is huge.

• Like 1