All time shows: Madison Scouts

"Mighty Madison Scouts":

1962:  THE best hornline  of that season in junior drum corps.  Hands down.  Best placement at VFW Finals (Sixth behind St Kevins Emerald Knights) and should have recieved the horn execution trophy.  Best Madiosn corps of that decade.

1974:  Gail Royer termed this the "Better of the two Madison corps" he faced in 74-75 DCI Finals, and I agree.  Scouts breezed to a Prelim win, but their Finals show was eclipsed by SCV who did the "Went on in their Prelims Finish spot" to clinch the title.   Fab show by the 1974 Scouts and one of my faves.

Elphaba    :flower:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That 1980 show... definitely underrated, IMO.

Great horn line... a ton of energy... and an absolutely stellar French horn soloist in "Ice Castles."

80 was the show where the DM turns around and holds up the banner while the corps is wailing on the last chord? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StarOrg said:

80 was the show where the DM turns around and holds up the banner while the corps is wailing on the last chord? 

Yes. :satisfied:

And that chord... a good recording of it, you hear the final release and the halo/echo afterwards... oh, yes, yes yes. :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

So many years mentioned. Demonstrates how popular Scouts have been through the decades.  78 and 81 - shows that could have won -are faves along with so many of the others already noted. It would be much easier to list off the duds. There haven't been many. Relampago however ..... gets a place of its own on that other side of the ledger. Yikes. 

Eh... it wasn't that awful. Then again, some of the stuff I've seen year after year... it's got to be really bad or extremely disappointing to get me to say it's BAD. For instance... the "Yowza, Yowza, Yowza" show.... THAT'S BAD. :satisfied:

I do grant that creating a show based on an obscure Mexican Comic Book Superhero was a bit of a stretch, though! :huh:

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

1st half of the show musically was changed if I recall correctly, Fran.

The entire show was changed in '76. All music and drill. I don't think it's mentioned much as a favorite show because so much was repeated from the '75 show. Having marched both years I still go back and forth as to what was a bigger accomplishment.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bass5 said:

The entire show was changed in '76. All music and drill. 

I see the difference here now, and its one of definition of ' change" some of us are utilizing. The Madison Scouts played "MacArthur's Park" for their concert in both '75 and '76. They played " Rhapsody in Blue " out of Concert both in '75 and '76, and played ' The Way We Were" as their closer both in '75 and '76 .They did early on in '76 however come out with a entire NEW music and drill for '76, but went back to the '75 show musically for their Concert, out of concert and closer. As such ,they did in fact change the entire music and drill from their early season ( as Fran and you stated correctly... now that I more fully understand what you mean in " change " ). I am also correct that much of the music eventually remained:" unchanged" from what they played in 75.  The central point here ( not to be lost in the semantics ) is that what Madison almost pulled off in '76 remains so to both of us. Despite the wholesale changes in the entire show both musically and drill wise from early in the season of '76, they almost repeated. Quite impressive indeed for Madison.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

The central point here ( not to be lost in the semantics ) is that what Madison almost pulled off in '76 remains so to both of us. Despite the wholesale changes in the entire show both musically and drill wise from early in the season of '76, they almost repeated. Quite impressive indeed for Madison.

Thanks (from all of us who marched that grueling year in 76). Looking back on it after all these years, I still believe if we would have been given a decent show to perform for the entire year we may have been able to compete with BD but rehashing an old show with a new opener and drum solo was not going to beat BD's master piece of a show.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Any such list that does not include 1995 is a lie

haha...  I have a sense, just looking at the number of times '95 has been mentioned so far, that this will ultimately be the year/ show that wins out re. the Madison Scouts. Tough choices, as Madison has had so many fan friendly shows over the years.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1