Cavalier January Camp 2018

Donors are getting a treat this year as Chris Lugo is giving us plenty of video updates on their Facebook page for donors.

You can donate and get access pretty easily too. https://give.cavaliers.org/#support-the-cavaliers

The encore tune is nice and fitting, and the 2018 Intro show music is an interesting choice.  So far, I've been able to pick out three different melodies.

The hornline is going for a big sound this year! I can't wait to see what the percussion and guard are up to tomorrow!

Fans of the corps should should donate and get in on the fun!

First listen of the opener with the brass and battery in a small room....  ...and then there's a bit with a dog...  Needless to say, we only get to hear the sounds from outside the room ( the dog would have gone nuts in there, plus the room was small ), but it's plenty loud enough to hear the music very clearly.

The Pit's playing in a different room. I believe Chris said it was show music from last year, and then when they were playing he said it was intricate music  from 2013. Sounded like a great group playing well together at a camp!

This is their 1st callback camp, and the different sections are getting music a different times, so I assume they're playing this to see how well they learn and all of that...

Sounds like the guard will be great again this year according to Lugo.

2018 is getting more exciting, especially when you can hear some 2018 music.

No, they're not giving out the show theme, and no they don't want people to share what they hear, but you can get in on the action with a donation.

I know they can plug their own stuff, but I thought it might be helpful for the lazy or busy if I just post this here:

Our 2018 January Call-Back Camp for Brass and Percussion has begun! 

As things heat up this weekend here in Rosemont, we're launching our BOOST Program to build up our 2018 Brass, Color Guard, and Percussion Scholarships. 

Brass: https://payments.cavaliers.org/collections/boost-cavaliers-brass
Color Guard: https://payments.cavaliers.org/collections/boost-cavaliers-guard
Percussion: https://payments.cavaliers.org/collections/boost-cavaliers-percussion

BOOST is simple. 

100 individual tax-deductible options in small amounts ranging from $1 up to $100. 

It’s that easy, and every single dollar raised goes directly toward helping our students.

***For this weekend's BOOST Scholarship donors, The Cavaliers are amping up our commitment to you with INSIDE ACCESS, starting with exclusive FB Live sessions all weekend long showcasing the 2018 Cavaliers. 

Brass. Percussion. 2018 Teasers. January Camp Showcase...You won’t want to miss it!***

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, show and tell sounded great, especially for this time of year!

Their assessment (Joe Roach's assessment) is that they're way ahead in brass this year as compared to recent years at this time...

They played through the opener, 2nd bit of music, ballad, and an encore tune. You can tell that they're working on more subtle musical things than normal for them at this time.

The second bit of music has a bunch of intricate notes, timings, and such...  Should be good content for the sheets.

It was all very entertaining, loud, and with good tone.  Leboeuf seems like a great fit as the brass caption manager.  He looks super young though. Good for him to be as good as he is at his craft at such a young age...

I heard there were 50 baritones vying for the 24 baritone spots.  Wow, I hope those who don't make the cut get some experience at another corps. There's too much talent going around like that to not be used...

Battery percussion sounded great too, but it's indoors.  All I could tell is that the snares were playing together perfectly...

Anyway, I'm excited!  I think everyone will enjoy this edition of the corps! They're certainly off to a banner start!

• Thanks 1

Haha the annual "they're way ahead of where they were last year" post. Said of every corps every year. Love it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Haha the annual "they're way ahead of where they were last year" post. Said of every corps every year. Love it!

Yea, I thought about that too before I posted that, but then I thought it would be nice to give some kind of camp update.  It's been pretty boring in here and I just wanted to put out some fun news.  Hope I didn't offend.

Just remember they didn't post that comment here. I did. ...and I did it without making any other predictions about how that will turn out in the end for them.  Honestly, I've heard many years of January drumcorps.  Sounded as good as anything else I've heard over the last almost 30 years in January from a drum and bugle corps...

It is obvious that the brass program has switched directions towards more of a DVD approach to sound. The rep as written now is pretty darned meaty, though that can be watered down as the season arrives.

Anyway, just trying to have a bit of fun here!  I know they're all way ahead of where they were last year at this time...  It's just that **I** don't say that every year; for the record, when a corps is "behind last year", I'll say that too.  So for this corps THIS year, it is true...  They're ahead of schedule. :xmas:

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yea, I thought about that too before I posted that, but then I thought it would be nice to give some kind of camp update.  It's been pretty boring in here and I just wanted to put out some fun news.  Hope I didn't offend.

Just remember they didn't post that comment here. I did. ...and I did it without making any other predictions about how that will turn out in the end for them.  Honestly, I've heard many years of January drumcorps.  Sounded as good as anything else I've heard over the last almost 30 years in January from a drum and bugle corps...

It is obvious that the brass program has switched directions towards more of a DVD approach to sound. The rep as written now is pretty darned meaty, though that can be watered down as the season arrives.

Anyway, just trying to have a bit of fun here!  I know they're all way ahead of where they were last year at this time...  It's just that **I** don't say that every year; for the record, when a corps is "behind last year", I'll say that too.  So for this corps THIS year, it is true...  They're ahead of schedule. :xmas:

Offend?  No way!  I just love the "hope springs eternal" enthusiasm of drum corps fans. 

• Like 1

Since there usually isn't much discussion from any corps, it was great to see and hear what is going on from The Cavaliers. Mr. Lugo is keeping the Donors, and Alumni well connected with the young men who are looking at marching with the Cavaliers.

It will be a long time before we know how everyone is against each other since the first real match up isn't until Jul 20th and 21st.

• Like 2