Spielberg to remake West Side Story

On 1/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, Terri Schehr said:

The 1953 version scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.  That’s my litmus test. :laughing:

Only 3 shots of the Martians. Spielberg had to have one rush the camera to generate emotion. zzzzzzz And a little girl was more frightened of the spider on her face than scary beings killing everything in sight.

• Like 1

And nobody counts the Cadets' 1994 WSS among the best-ever shows. Oddly, it's what G Hopkins WANTED '84 to be. "Cool," "Mambo," "Somewhere." M Cesario said, "Nuh uh. We'll open with 'Maria,'" and everybody looked at him like, Whaaa? To have grabbed 13 minutes out of a 2½ hour stage show with only a few "I love that song!" moments was brilliant.

On 1/29/2018 at 8:01 AM, Tad_MMA said:

Right. Because machines buried on Earth 1M years ago (AND NEVER DISCOVERED) start right up.  Conceptually, it was stupid from the start and stayed there. George Pal couldn't afford the FX in '53 to use tripods; the flying machines were absolutely creepy. And I studied the novel and the original film for post-grad work - you have no case here.

I liked the remake.  Enough to buy a copy.  

Edited by Invictus

57 minutes ago, Invictus said:

I liked the remake. Enough to buy a copy.  

It was a parable about the Iraq war, with echoes of 9/11, too. But different folks for different strokes.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:49 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I'm sure you've heard the Forbidden Broadway "Chita/Rita" parody. Hysterical.

:4_joy:

Let’s share with the class, shall we?  :laughing:

[video]

C: "I'd sooner die."

R: "You probably will."

(Wikipedia says Rita is a year older. About ten years ago, Chita stepped in to be entertainer at our gala when Sandy Duncan dropped out at the last minute.)

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 1:18 PM, BRASSO said:

Will Christopher Walken be giving swimming lessons to the new Maria?

Robert Wagner sure won't be.

Wow.

On 1/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, garfield said:
Terry Schehr said:

The Man of LaMancha.

I resemble that remark.  Literally.

But nobody knows it...

It's because you lack a woeful countenance.

(Did your friends crack jokes when the play or film came out?)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2018 at 7:15 PM, GUARDLING said:

He could do something very controversial (easily). With today's daily debates on people coming into the country, people in minorities, religious differences, gender, sexual accusations, political division, etc., etc., WSS can have a very different flair from original yet send the same kind of message. JMO.

Let's see, lots of Puerto Rican transplants on the mainland, leading character is named Maria... nah, nothing topical there.

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It was a parable about the Iraq war, with echoes of 9/11, too. But different folks for different strokes.

In his boring words, Spielberg wanted to show Americans as refugees. We (not him...not his phony Hollywood colleagues) need to be knocked down a peg. The same man who made "Schindler's List" (he begged on Oscar night: "Teach this in your schools!") made the garbage political essay "Munich" which sure as hell sounded like, "Hold on! Let's hear everyone's point of view!"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

C: "I'd sooner die."

R: "You probably will."

(Wikipedia says Rita is a year older. About ten years ago, Chita stepped in to be entertainer at our gala when Sandy Duncan dropped out at the last minute.)

Someone I know called this "a viciously racist parody." I shot back, "It's a wonderfully vicious RACIAL parody." I'm trying to remember who in Hollywood referred to Rita as "that Puerto Rican Pepper Pot." It was around the time that Sinatra said about (first ever black) Oscar host Sammy D .Jr, "...he looks like a headwaiter in a rib joint somewhere."