Spielberg to remake West Side Story

17 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's because you lack a woeful countenance.

(Did your friends crack jokes when the play or film came out?)

Hey, Rocinante, why the long face?

Here's a cool little video essay about one of Spielberg's regular techniques:

When his West Side Story is released, be sure to look for it.

To keep this conversation on topic:

(1) What's a nifty drum corps technique that most people in the audience aren't aware of?

(2) If Cadets were to revisit West Side Story, what would you like to see them include (musically and/or visually) that they haven't had before? And what would you not like to seem them do?

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It was a parable about the Iraq war, with echoes of 9/11, too. But different folks for different strokes.

I didn't think enough about it to see it that way.  I just enjoyed what I saw - enough to want to buy a copy.  The tripod effect was worth the price of admission.   I also loved the 50's version.  It freaked me out when I saw it as a child. 

The 60's version of WSS is so right in so many ways.  Every time I see that film someone in the room is cutting onions or filling the room with dust.  I don't care about the dubs or any other flaws it may have.  It was just...so...right.  It still is.  Why does a shining star need to be relit?

I wish Spielberg would remake a few science fiction films.  Day of the Triffids or Colossus: The Forbin Project are ripe for updating.  Thing is, with Colossus, I think Will Smith currently has the rights to do a film although it has been in limbo for years. 

Edited by Invictus
  • Like 1

I just wonder what the pre-show announcement will be like. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Invictus said:

I didn't think enough about it to see it that way.  I just enjoyed what I saw--enough to want to buy a copy.  The tripod effect was worth the price of admission.

As I recall, Roger Ebert criticized Spielberg's WOTW partly on the grounds that the whole idea of ships supported by spindly tripods was preposterous (regardless of the fact that came from the book). Did you ever read "The Tripods" series of novels written in the 1960s by John Christopher?

3 hours ago, Eleran said:

Is the narrator intentionally trying to sound like Richard Dreyfuss?

I don't think so. He sounds pretty much the same in all the videos in his "Every Frame a Painting" series, which are really cool.

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I recall, Roger Ebert criticized Spielberg's WOTW partly on the grounds that the whole idea of ships supported by spindly tripods was preposterous (regardless of the fact that came from the book). Did you ever read "The Tripods" series of novels written in the 1960s by John Christopher?

No.  I saw WotW.  Is it possible to just enjoy a movie anymore without it having to be some sort of an analysis?  Does every nook and cranny require analysis?  

In fact, after I saw the movie with a friend, I bought a new blender.  Every time I think about that blender I think of WotW.  It's not a tripod blender.  Maybe it should have been.