Favorite year as MM

3 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

I marched the first three years of Spirit of Atlanta, but my favorite year was our second year, 1978. We had finished in 23rd place at 1977 finals in Denver, so no one was expecting much out of our sophomore effort, despite having a lot of returnees from a year of almost all rookies. Jim Ott began telling us in the spring of 1978 that we had something special, but his words really didn't click with us until we got to the second show of tour, in Cedarburg, Wisc. That night, the crowd was electric, and we began to feed off the crowd's reaction to our still very-new corps from the South. The audience shot to their feet when we hit the company front in Let It Be Me, and remained standing for the rest of the show. It was pretty much like that the rest of the season, which was so much fun because NO one was expecting the sound that Jim Ott coaxed from us. We ended up the year in 6th place, missing the high horns trophy (which would later be named for Jim) by a mere .05. Not too shabby considering that only two of the horn players had ever even held a bugle before our first rehearsal for the previous season.

I remember watching you guys warm up at the Atlanta show.  I was like whoa they’ve come a long way.  

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 4:58 PM, palmettomello said:

I marched in 2010, watching shows develop throughout the summer was great. Some amazing productions that year: 

Bluecoats with Metropolis was probably my favorite to catch throughout the summer, such an awesome show, so different than most things on the field around that time. Really pushed Coats into that upper echelon. 

Phantom had my second favorite that summer with Into the Light, such emotion and power from that music book. Wish phantom's programming could revisit this style. 

Not always a fan of BD, but this show was one that really got to me. They deserved the Gold.  

Crown with A Se2ond Chance had spectacular music and I really enjoyed the program, despite it being a Part II show. 

Cavie's Mad World was the last program from the green machine that I really loved. 

Crusader's Thy Kingdom Come was some great program design. Loved the source music of Glassmen that year too, The Prayer Cycle.

Others that were enjoyable to catch throughout the summer: SCV, SOA, and Teal Sound

The last time I saw DCI finals in another century was 1983 Miami Florida. In 2010 (this century) we went to finals. Thank you so much for helping me relive this wonderful experience.

As an MM, I have 2 favourite years; 1970 and 1976. In 1970 we won in our class and in 1976 we saw BD and PR often on tour and we performed in DCI finals too. Drum Corps is cool. 

My favorite year as a member (Cavaliers) was 95, not just because we won, but because it was such a fun show to rehearse and perform. We got our butts kicked competitively multiple times but we just kept pushing. We had an amazing staff as well. Every other corps that summer was just brilliant, too. A great year for the activity.

• Like 3

Favorite year as a member was '96 (Magic of Orlando) because we had a great instructional staff that pushed us to be the best we could. As a brass line we had quite a few vets and were really talented throughout. Some absolutely great memories were made that summer and as a horn line we played really well together and it just made it more fun. Also got to watch BD and Phantom through the season on multiple occasions which was pretty cool. Had probably one of the best shows I ever marched at Semis that summer in orlando which was a really neat experience.

• Like 1

Freelancers 1987...

We folded in 1986. We weren't supposed to be any good. Our average age was something stupid like 17. 90% of the corps was rookies.. not Freelancers rookies... but rather rookies. We had total faith and trust in our staff and leadership because, well, we simply did not know any better. We started first tour with over 20 holes in the brass line. And then, we got pretty good. Ended up finishing 19th and set up the run of finals appearances in 89, 91 and 92. Awesome year.

• Like 4

my favorite year was 1966 because it was the first and only time that my corps(St. Roccos Cadets) managed to beat Garfield(twice)..That's probably why I'm a Cadets fan to this day!!!

Playing in the snare line for the Blue Devils was a complete gas. 

I enjoyed every rehearsal from October - June.  I got to travel to the other side of the country during the summer on our "new" buses - 1957 Greyhound SceniCruisers... yeah baby!

We had no food truck.  We had cereal for breakfast, peanut butter/jelly and/or bologna and cheese sandwiches for lunch, and fast food for dinners.

Loved Stillwater, Whitewater, World Open at the Manning Bowl (saw Muchachos for the first time), and CYO - where we did a great drum show even though we arrived about 7 mins before report time due to the equipment truck being too tall to fit under an overpass...  Everyone threw on their uniforms, and we played one exercise one time through and hustled on to the field.

Stillwater - The drum line is warming up and a crowd starts to gather.  I had never seen this before.  There were probably 75 or so people.  I marched between fellow BD rookie Scott Johnson and 3 year snare vet Alan Silverstein.  I turned my head to the right and asked Alan, "What are all those people doing?"  "Watching us," he answers.  Then I said, "But why?  We are just playing basic warm-up exercises."  And he says, "Because we're good!"  Me, "Oh, okay.  That's kind'a weird."

I know, pretty much clueless!

That whole year, ending by winning BD's 1st championship was absolutely incredible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c mor said:

where we did a great drum show even though we arrived about 7 mins before report time due to the equipment truck being too tall to fit under an overpass 

Someone must have led the convoy the wrong way.

Edited by Ghost

On 2/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, c mor said:

Playing in the snare line for the Blue Devils was a complete gas. 

I enjoyed every rehearsal from October - June.  I got to travel to the other side of the country during the summer on our "new" buses - 1957 Greyhound SceniCruisers... yeah baby!

We had no food truck.  We had cereal for breakfast, peanut butter/jelly and/or bologna and cheese sandwiches for lunch, and fast food for dinners.

Loved Stillwater, Whitewater, World Open at the Manning Bowl (saw Muchachos for the first time), and CYO - where we did a great drum show even though we arrived about 7 mins before report time due to the equipment truck being too tall to fit under an overpass...  Everyone threw on their uniforms, and we played one exercise one time through and hustled on to the field.

Stillwater - The drum line is warming up and a crowd starts to gather.  I had never seen this before.  There were probably 75 or so people.  I marched between fellow BD rookie Scott Johnson and 3 year snare vet Alan Silverstein.  I turned my head to the right and asked Alan, "What are all those people doing?"  "Watching us," he answers.  Then I said, "But why?  We are just playing basic warm-up exercises."  And he says, "Because we're good!"  Me, "Oh, okay.  That's kind'a weird."

I know, pretty much clueless!

That whole year, ending by winning BD's 1st championship was absolutely incredible.

1976 Blue Devils is my #1 favorite drum corp show and drum line of all time. I was in a small corp at the time and I idolized the BD snare line. I remember sitting in my bedroom at night trying to figure out the snare charts and writing them out. Then, 1 year ago or so, a member of DCP who marched in the 1976 snare line, heck it might have been you,  sent me a PDF of the actual hand written snare chart  by Rick Odello. Good stuff.

• Like 1