What you want for 2018

57 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

A lot of people on here are really hating on the pit, and I don't get it, I understand the distaste for synth but I think the pit in general has added some awesome musical opportunities.

They have, but don't drown out the brass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

They have, but don't drown out the brass.

At times, but I feel like to just say less pit isn't exactly what anyone wants, to be honest it seems most of us (myself included) wants more brass.

56 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

At times, but I feel like to just say less pit isn't exactly what anyone wants, to be honest it seems most of us (myself included) wants more brass.

More brass without artificial help yes, but extra mm's might end up in the guard.

5 hours ago, jimthetuba said:

As a brass person I want less music in the pit and more with the brass. The pit (after all these years) should still only be a compliment (seasonings, spice) and not the main course IMO.  When being more visual and visual demand came along brass parts of the music were put in the pit 

Edited by Triple Forte

7 hours ago, jimthetuba said:

A lot of people on here are really hating on the pit, and I don't get it, I understand the distaste for synth but I think the pit in general has added some awesome musical opportunities.

i'm with you, however remember part of the rationale used for passing amplification 15 years ago was being able to reduce the size of the pit.....which hasn't happened at all. And balance is the issue as well.

I’d like less pit as currently it’s all pit all the time and they are turned up to 10. It’s fatiguing. There is no space, they never stop which results in a very limited dynamic range. They are overwritten to the point of being noisy filler

And yeah, they’re picking up way too much of what should be in the brass, review SCV  2004 vs 2014

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm with you, however remember part of the rationale used for passing amplification 15 years ago was being able to reduce the size of the pit.....which hasn't happened at all. And balance is the issue as well.

Yeah, it all comes back to amplification, part of the issue is the way show design is now days mm's are either marching or playing there is not nearly enough credit given for doing both, so the brass plays, and then stops playing and starts running and the pit takes over (flight of the bumblebee section of BD's show last year is a great example of what this is like)

On 2/22/2018 at 8:53 AM, jimthetuba said:

Yeah, it all comes back to amplification, part of the issue is the way show design is now days mm's are either marching or playing there is not nearly enough credit given for doing both, so the brass plays, and then stops playing and starts running and the pit takes over (flight of the bumblebee section of BD's show last year is a great example of what this is like)

oh i hear ya. i'm all for the pit, but people have had enough of the lies