What you want for 2018

people that ##### "it's not real drum corps anymore" to be banned from here, the DCP facebook page etc

• Like 2

I want more cheesy narration. Extra credit if it tries for some deep meaningful message. I also want more thunderous goo. Loves me some electronic generated sound so loud it drowns out the entire brass line. That's drum corps!!  And can you please get me more props. Like tarps covering the entire field, or various jungle gym-like structures taking up lots of space. And for something new, because "evolving" = good, how about reaching into the  BOA ranks and bringing some go karts to the field. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

how about reaching into the  BOA ranks and bringing some go karts to the field. 

As long as they are motorized instead of peddle power.

Edited by Ghost

On 3/15/2018 at 11:51 AM, cowtown said:

It takes me out of the show, I prefer uniformity to individuality. I find faces distracting. I want big picture 

This!

For most of us, when you see a show live you do not really see faces or emotions or closeups from the stands. Maybe if you are really low, but at most shows we experience drum corps from a distance. We see big picture. We see form, motion, color, and we hear audio.  Props can sometimes be difficult to interpret. Facial expressions and interpretive dance and/or body movement can be difficult to react to unless done in a big way.  We experience the total show when we see it live, so it makes sense that we want that from the video as well.  Not as easy to do, and I get that they want to show close-ups to offer a different perspective, but the big picture is always better. This goes for the sound, too. I don't want to hear too much pit or audio close-ups of various sections.  I don't want to hear poorly done amplification and tinty-sounding solos that overtake the brass and percussion.  I want to hear the total acoustic blend that should be the product of great brass and drums.  If electronics are your thing, please do it carefully and musically. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2018 at 11:51 AM, cowtown said:

It takes me out of the show, I prefer uniformity to individuality. I find faces distracting. I want big picture 

Done sparingly, it can work.  Cavies 2016, during the brief singing moment was a good example of both no headgear, and singing, done well.  

• Like 1

My list doesn't add much, but I can't stop my fingers from typing:

• No singers and no narration.
  • Easy on amplification. Honestly, though, I can't discern all that's going on as well as many of you can. The Cavies in Centerville, OH sort of blew me away with sound, and I was disappointed afterward that I think much of it was electronic. (Actually, I wonder if most general fans can tell what's going on - or can articulate what they are hearing?)
  • The various unis are okay for me. I was a fan of 2017 Scouts look. But will applaud if they are more traditional in 2018.
  • Really tired of love stories and couples jumping in each others' arms.
  • Fitzgerald is now kind of tainted for me. Hope not to see Hemingway (or Nick Adams) prancing on a drum corp field this year.
  • For me, guard soloists don't add much. From the stands, it's often tough to tell what's going on. 
  • Surprises are always nice, like updated endings. But I'm happy without them, too.
  • Since I see several shows during the tour - early, middle, and at finals - I am anxious as always to see the improvement over the weeks. 
  • Expecting lots of good music and good drill. (Or what passes for modern drill.) Icing on the cake if there's a melody that is sustained for more than 20 seconds.
  • Uncertainty for the placements in top five would be great. Hoping expectations for suspense for 10-16 holds up.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:33 PM, Jeff Ream said:

people that ##### "it's not real drum corps anymore" to be banned from here, the DCP facebook page etc

In that case, my wish for 2018 is a special "ignore" button that filters out such posts.  I prefer that to banning everyone who disagrees with Jeff Ream.