What you want for 2018

1 hour ago, gak27 said:

I guess what I'd like to see is a THOROUGH job scouting the shows during the entire season to plan the shot sequence/camera angles for each corps come Championship Week so we're not cutting to a closeup just as a big drill move/hit happens.

Doesn't Tom B. and crew do this already?  As for the cable camera, I think testing it out might show that the multi cam and high cam viewing folks will like it.  There must be many great drill moments over the decades being done into corners, side two, etc. that would have looked more impressive with an overhead shot, or covering the mm where there is no camera person positioned.

• 2 weeks later...

In case no one has mentioned it, how about a return to each corps staying put for about 20 seconds after the show has ended... so that the MMs can soak in that moment of applause and audience appreciation. Lately, there is such a rush to dismantle the props and flee the field. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ediker said:

In case no one has mentioned it, how about a return to each corps staying put for about 20 seconds after the show has ended... so that the MMs can soak in that moment of applause and audience appreciation. Lately, there is such a rush to dismantle the props and flee the field. 

They probably have them on the clock.  Plus there’s the cluster**** on and off in the front with the pits.  I see that in Indy.  It gets a little tense, all the jockeying for position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ediker said:

One of my favorite moments is watching the PR contra in 08 with his eyes closed, sweating, and soaking up the crowds reaction to the performance.  That is priceless for a mm people.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

One of my favorite moments is watching the PR contra in 08 with his eyes closed, sweating, and soaking up the crowds reaction to the performance.  That is priceless for a mm people.

Agreed. It’s one of the biggest thrills of the activity. How many times, in a lifetime, is the average person on the receiving end of thousands of people cheering?  It’s a thrill for the audience too. Surely it can be arranged to allow each corps 20 seconds to take in a lifetime memory. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ediker said:

Agreed. It’s one of the biggest thrills of the activity. How many times, in a lifetime, is the average person on the receiving end of thousands of people cheering?  It’s a thrill for the audience too. Surely it can be arranged to allow each corps 20 seconds to take in a lifetime memory. 

Each corps is alloted the same time interval - I believe it's 17 minutes - to set up, perform, and exit. They decide how the use that time. As the amount of "stuff" on the field increases, so does the time it takes to move it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpaul said:

Each corps is alloted the same time interval - I believe it's 17 minutes - to set up, perform, and exit. They decide how the use that time. As the amount of "stuff" on the field increases, so does the time it takes to move it.

I understand. Hopefully, a pause after the show will be budgeted into the time allotment by each corps’ management. The MMs split so quickly after the last note that it almost looks like the performance is being continued with a scatter drill.