Moving to a top 4 corp

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Really, it isn't just a top 4 these days. I'd say that it's back to top 6, or at least top 5 as it has been historically.

I say that your child should go where they are the happiest and where they are the best fit.  It's ok to try new things too.

Let's be real. Right now it's the top one. Then about five in the next group, any one of which may catch lightning in a bottle and win. But heavy odds are with that one corps. 

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Let's be real. Right now it's the top one. Then about five in the next group, any one of which may catch lightning in a bottle and win. But heavy odds are with that one corps. 

It's too bad about that too.

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

It's too bad about that too.

This is really bad from a competitive point of view, but I think that also gives tremendous opportunity from a membership perspective. If people want to guarantee a ring they can go to bd for a couple of years. But if a ring is not their focus they can go to another corps they really love unworried about who's "going to win" knowing that it probably won't happen unless they're in bd allowing them to focus on the art not the score. Tell me if I'm totally off bass but it seems each of the top corps has a brand of what they do the best

Crown - Join if you want to be in the best brassline

Cavies - Join if you you want to do cool visual things and have "swagger"

Bluecoats - Join if you want to be super cool and out of the box

BD - Join if you want a ring, and want to be "the top of the activity"

SCV - Not really sure, I'd say for a more traditional corps experience, but last years show doesn't back that up

• Like 1

These are all great points, that is why I like being a part of this forum. My son doesn't necessarily want to get a ring, but does want to challenge himself to be the best and see how he compares to other talent in the corps.  I think he knows it is between loyalty to his corp and trying something knew.  He wants to be involved with Drum Corps for his life, so getting other experiences may be beneficial to him.  For now, he is dedicated to making this current year his best.

Edited by Drumcorpdad62
  • Like 1