Moving to a top 4 corp

Hmm. Been meaning to respond to this with a couple of stores involving myself and my sister. Might be a bit long, but it's the best way I might be able to provide some thoughts on the subject as well.

1981. Came back from DCA's to college and ran into a friend who marched with me at Westshore, also marched Crossmen and just finished playing Mello with BD that season. Went to his room for a beer.

"How long have you been at Westshore?"

"3 seasons."

He looked at me seriously and said,

"Now is the time for you to get out and move on."

"Why?"

"Different corps do things differently. Learn more than one way. There are a lot of great ideas out there, and the opportunity to learn them is important. Push yourself."

The conversation was great- he basically laid out all he'd learned at BD that summer. What he described to me was the basis for what's now "System Blue." I've never forgotten what he told me- to try and learn new things, expand my knowledge base, and keep in mind there's a lot more than one way to approach this activity that's valid.

Did I move on? No. Money was an issue, though Dad hinted recently had I wanted to go to Phantom, which I did not feel like I would fit in... maybe the money would have been there. Things were different back then regarding getting into a corps, less candidates... fewer cuts, etc. Another reason was that the management at Westshore laid things out at the beginning of that coming season, that things would be different, last season was disappointing, it would NOT happen again... major changes were being done, and we were going to take the next step in the corps' growth. There was no reason to doubt Larry Hershman. One thing about Larry I learned was that if you make a promise, you keep it, and he always did. A corollary to that was don't make too many promises so that you make sure you deliver on the ones you do make. DCI basically came to us that season in the form of some great new staff members, and I had a great experience over the next 2 seasons in that regard.

Next season, Ralph Hardimon came in for a rehearsal. Even the guys in the hornline were gassed about it. The next day over Sunday Dinner, I asked my sister how things went with Ralph....

"It was really good."

"Anything in particular?"

"He asked me to come out to Santa Clara and join the Cymbal line."

At this point, I did a spit-take and nearly fell over then blurted out

"You're going, aren't you!?"

Dad and Mom's eyes are bugging out at this point...

"No. All of my friends are here."

"All of your friends will still be here next year after you come back and tell us all about it! This is like Jesus asking you to be a disciple!"

There was come conversation with Dad, Mom was laughing.... then I said to my sister..

"I don't know about you, but if someone like Ralph asked ME to go there, I'd be packing my bags right now, heading for the front door, and telling you I'm getting to Santa Clara somehow!" :satisfied:

So... yeah- there is a chance to learn and expand one's self by moving on. Maybe the corps you're at WILL make changes to provide that- maybe not. Maybe you like where you're at and fit in, I'm uncertain whether anyone asked whether the OP's son feels like they really fit in and belong there anymore. Maybe if they do try out elsewhere, they find they don't like the scene. Maybe they do! I can't help but think the individual in question needs to "give it a go" as the Brits say and find out whether it's what they want, whether they have the right stuff, and like being there, or if not, go where home really is. I really wish the best of luck! :satisfied:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete Freedman said:

...All of this is not to say a member shouldn't listen to their own inner voice on the matter.  They may feel loyalty and wish to honor that.  In such a case it comes from within.    Such loyalty is perfectly normal and I'm not saying they should ignore it.  But then it's part of why they actually want to stay, not a part of why they should stay anyway.  Does that make sense?

Makes sense. And let's face it, this is a mobile world. Drum corps, college, jobs, fans, we're less local and less loyal. No judgment in that. Just reality. Doesn't mean we must be mobile. Ironically might mean staying steady requires more sophistication than ever. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

So DID she go to SCV???

Nah. My sister was very close to her friends in the plate line. She liked the percussion staff, so she never went out. I don't think Ralph realized she was almost or had just turned 17. She's always had a good head on her shoulders and conducted herself right. She's more talented musically than I am, I had to make up for it by working a lot harder at things and grinding then she did. The one regret I do have with Westshore Alumni was I never did one of the gigs with her on stage performing with me. It would have meant a lot to me.

• Like 1

Moving to another corps to improve quality of instruction and placement is quite common. Make sure you go to a corps you'll enjoy being with. Drum corps is hard enough, Harder if you're not happy.

I remember leaving my top 25 corps to play 1st baritone for a top 5 corps. It was fine, I met some great people, the instruction was stellar but it wasn't close to family. I went back to my old corps after 1st tour. ( we had 1st and 2nd tour back then) The top 5 corps filled my spot with one of many alternates, we parted on good terms. My small corps fill a much needed spot and the big corps did what big corps do, they never missed a beat. Bottom line. Do what makes you happy. You have a small window of time to enjoy this activity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it interesting that there is a seeming belief that going to a higher corps = better instruction.  In today's activity I find it more reasonable to say that higher placing corps = better design.  You can easily be a tuba player in 11th place and get better instruction on your instrument than you might at the then 8th or 5th place team.  Happens a lot.  And consider, if you are planning on becoming a music educator, that generally the lower a corps' recent position is, the more likely "teachable moments" there will be for you to observe teaching more in line with what you will have to do in the real world.  No one is walking into a HS band program and getting anywhere near the equivalent of BD's talent.  So, although time at that level is helpful in learning high standards, the hands-on fixing of substandard talent will be far more beneficial further down the spectrum.  I recommend a mix (can't believe I am even suggesting corps-hopping).  If you want to develop as an educator, experience multiple approaches with multiple levels of talent.  

19 minutes ago, BillH said:

I find it interesting that there is a seeming belief that going to a higher corps = better instruction.  In today's activity I find it more reasonable to say that higher placing corps = better design.  You can easily be a tuba player in 11th place and get better instruction on your instrument than you might at the then 8th or 5th place team.  Happens a lot.  And consider, if you are planning on becoming a music educator, that generally the lower a corps' recent position is, the more likely "teachable moments" there will be for you to observe teaching more in line with what you will have to do in the real world.  No one is walking into a HS band program and getting anywhere near the equivalent of BD's talent.  So, although time at that level is helpful in learning high standards, the hands-on fixing of substandard talent will be far more beneficial further down the spectrum.  I recommend a mix (can't believe I am even suggesting corps-hopping).  If you want to develop as an educator, experience multiple approaches with multiple levels of talent.  

There is that, your point is strong. Teaching at different talent levels demands different methods and skill sets to be utilized. Going back to my personal experience, Recently I had a talk with my former corps director about 1982 Westshore. He felt we'd reached a plateau where we'd learned all we could from who we had on board and that the staff needed to be augmented to raise the knowledge level of the performers to that next level. It's something to think about.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:50 PM, Liahona said:

Jump to Blue Devils and it's a GUARANTEED lock for that goal...

no brainer