Moving to a top 4 corp

On 2/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, Drumcorpdad62 said:

My son is in his third year with a top 12 Corp, but wants to jump next year and audition for one of the top 4. How common is it for members to try this?  Part of me wants him to stay with the corp that gave him his first shot, but I also understand he wants to challenge himself to be the best.

My son stuck with his home corps for five years and though he was proud of his loyalty - he still regrets not going for his dream corps.  It isn't always easy for kids to step out of their comfort zone, cross state lines, and go for what they really want but if it is at all doable, I would encourage your son to go for it.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity - a bucket list kind of thing.  Don't hold back!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BillH said:

I find it interesting that there is a seeming belief that going to a higher corps = better instruction.  In today's activity I find it more reasonable to say that higher placing corps = better design.  You can easily be a tuba player in 11th place and get better instruction on your instrument than you might at the then 8th or 5th place team.  Happens a lot.  And consider, if you are planning on becoming a music educator, that generally the lower a corps' recent position is, the more likely "teachable moments" there will be for you to observe teaching more in line with what you will have to do in the real world.  No one is walking into a HS band program and getting anywhere near the equivalent of BD's talent.  So, although time at that level is helpful in learning high standards, the hands-on fixing of substandard talent will be far more beneficial further down the spectrum.  I recommend a mix (can't believe I am even suggesting corps-hopping).  If you want to develop as an educator, experience multiple approaches with multiple levels of talent.  

It has been said many times that higher placing lines have better instruction on average.  Certainly there are master instructors at the top of the activity.

Of course, all things are rarely equal, and the strength of talent showing up at auditions must be a big factor in the scores. 

We could hypothesize that better instructional staff should be reflected in a steeper caption score curve during the season, particularly achievement scores.  However, most of them seem to improve at about the same rate, so I'm not sure about that.

For an individual, though, I would think being in a line with roughly your same skill level would maximize improvement. Jumping to a better corps when you've outgrown the lower corps would make sense (if that's the goal) even if their instructors are no better.  The music will definitely be harder.

• Like 1