Creating musical synergy: Good for drum corps? And drum corps fans?

glory

3 hours ago, glory said:

In a recent update on its February "production" camp, Boston Crusaders told us their focus included "creating musical synergy when all the performers assemble."

Here's my question. Is "creating musical synergy" different from making music? Isn't it just a fancy-pants way of saying the corps is putting the pieces together? Is it yet another examples of corps over-complicating this marching band thing we love? (Some of us.) You're not creating musical synergy. Synergy isn't the objective. It's music. It's simple.

I know I'm totally splitting hairs. Don't hate me for it. The bar has to be lower in February. 

And what's a "production" camp? Do they have non-production camps? What are they called?

People add more words to things to make them sound more important...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

and we have "Visual Performance" judges

While on the subject of 10-dollar words that really are worth about a quarter...LOL...

Don't you mean "adjudicators"?  :tongue:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I think there's pretty much nothing to see here. "Synergy" is simply as described above...putting the pieces together...

Agree there is nothing to see here. In fact, I started this discussion only because there is nothing to see on DCP these days.

But seriously, isn't "synergy" a precondition for good music from any band? I mean precondition versus objective (as in "creating synergy"). Can you have good music if you don't have synergy? 

Reminded myself of a long time ago when I played in the pit band of a second-rate Miss Virginia pageant (I say "second rate" because if I was in the band it couldn't have been first rate.)

Anyway, we were supposed to play "Impossible Dream" when the winner was crowned (it was the 70s). The emcee, who'd sung a solo earlier, was NOT supposed to sing Impossible Dream. But he did, or he tried, coming in several counts off our otherwise seamless rendition. Everyone of us recognized immediately the problem and the solution. And without a word being spoken, we all shifted automatically to his (mistaken) count. That was synergy - and one of the greatest musical moments of my life.