Creating musical synergy: Good for drum corps? And drum corps fans?

glory

4 hours ago, JAZZER said:

For me it boils down to the difference between the act of "making" and expressing aesthetically so the overall performance exceeds the sum of it's parts.

this, but with fancier words than I would have used.

another way to look at it is there's "making music" and then there's "using music to become a living breathing entity that captures all". In today's ed speak, buzzwords are everything, and fancier buzzwords impress people more....those not cynical snarky ######## like us

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, glory said:

Reminded myself of a long time ago when I played in the pit band of a second-rate Miss Virginia pageant (I say "second rate" because if I was in the band it couldn't have been first rate.)

Anyway, we were supposed to play "Impossible Dream" when the winner was crowned (it was the 70s). The emcee, who'd sung a solo earlier, was NOT supposed to sing Impossible Dream. But he did, or he tried, coming in several counts off our otherwise seamless rendition. Everyone of us recognized immediately the problem and the solution. And without a word being spoken, we all shifted automatically to his (mistaken) count. That was synergy - and one of the greatest musical moments of my life. 

Your story reminded me of a drum corps moment that I would say was synergistic in nature...DM counted off n 6/8 time instead of 4/4 in the middle of competition...everyone broke off at different points but solidified synergistically at the next form...it was so seamless the judge comments were nice scatter drill etc etc....all the "parts" came together whether intended or not...haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cowtown said:

by adding ‘holistic and organic’ it will be Box 5 for sure

sadly, this think shows up on the field

Cavies could have some fun with business buzzwords and play tunes from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.  

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Cavies could have some fun with business buzzwords and play tunes from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.  

"Presenting their 2018 show, "Bingo!", the CAVALIERS!" Great fun to be had with buzzword bingo props...:whistle:

18 hours ago, cowtown said:

by adding ‘holistic and organic’ it will be Box 5 for sure

sadly, this think shows up on the field

Does organic mean it is carbon based?  I got a C in chemistry and felt lucky. 

11 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Does organic mean it is carbon based?  I got a C in chemistry and felt lucky. 

Heh... I flunked biology in high school. Only class I've ever failed, anywhere.

Needless to say, my parents were thrilled beyond belief.  LOL. Especially since one of my older brothers was a college biology major.  "Why didn't you ask him for help????" is one of their reactions I can print here. :tongue:

But I got an A in biology during my re-do in summer school. There's something to be said for motivation.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring