A Woman Marching for Madison: A member this time?

glory

16 hours ago, mj3004 said:

She's a member. Watch the video they posted when they say that specifically as they introduce her.  I always thought the "featured performer" label was terrible in the past. Just a label to keep alumni happy.   I see this as step one to ease into allowing more females in the future which I hope happens!  

And will effective kill the Madison Scouts. Congrats! Another dead drum corps.

15 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I trust this staff and administration, and many I am sure will see that I do this to a fault, but if these types of changes help the Madison Scouts to grow and prosper, then I say bring on the changes.

Which was your first mistake. “To a fault” would be an understatement.

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

why just the girl in Carmen? she was in all year, paid dues. One offs arent always a bad thing

I really doubt she paid dues. I certainly could be wrong, but I was seem to remember that being the case.

8 hours ago, traverbanking said:

Legally speaking, a corps would be considered a private club.

Unless they receive any publically available tax generated funding.  That would alter their status.  I'm not sure what the situation would be for non-profits.  Maybe the financial whizzes on DCP can shed clarity on this.

Not that my voice counts for a lot but, as a parent who's sent tuition dollars to the Scouts and volunteered time with them, I'm very glad to see them make this move.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigBadMadMan said:

And will effective kill the Madison Scouts. Congrats! Another dead drum corps.

Really?  Relampago wasn't an indicator that something is seriously wrong?  I think their problems run much deeper than whether they allow females as members. Like - what do they want their identity to be?  WTF was last year?  It's been schizophrenia on a football field with them since Scott Stewart was dumped. They have issues. I'm not sure the sex of their members would rank very high on the list of issues. And I say this in full agreement with the sentiment that as a private organization they can do what they want regarding membership 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

And there it is. As predicted. Shall we shutter all the all-girls high schools while we're at it?

Not sure why I would have been quoted in this response. I was merely making the point that if the Scouts think of her as they do any other member, why not call her a member? 

As for all-girls schools, if you have men as students, you have men as students.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not my call or your call to make unless you marched Madison.

I don't understand. Surely you're not saying something as momentous as this is off limits for DCP? A girl in the Scouts and we're supposed to muzzle ourselves because it's only for 149 others marching with her to say? Not even the 150 who marched last year? Or the ones who will march next year? Or maybe even fans who care? You're going to have to explain this to me.

32 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Really?  Relampago wasn't an indicator that something is seriously wrong?  I think their problems run much deeper than whether they allow females as members. Like - what do they want their identity to be?  WTF was last year?  It's been schizophrenia on a football field with them since Scott Stewart was dumped. They have issues. I'm not sure the sex of their members would rank very high on the list of issues. And I say this in full agreement with the sentiment that as a private organization they can do what they want regarding membership 

Well said sir. It's up to the Madison Scouts to decide what is best for their organization. If they allow women as members, that's cool. If not, that is their call. I just hope the PC crowd doesn't try to put them out of business for not allowing females to become members!