A Woman Marching for Madison: A member this time?

glory

"As long as it based on recruiting the best talent, that should work. If they want to recruit women because they believe it is fair, that should work. "

Exactly. If one wants to be pragmatic about this, I see time and time again comments about the top DCI corps having the best talent. If a corps effectively doubles the potential talent pool for members, you should end up with a more talented membership.

About what I said earlier, the only thing that comes to mind from that comment I heard is the "He-Man Women-Haters Club" from the Little Rascals. It was silly then, it's even more silly now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

My guess is they are referring to Kilties who went coed in 1978 and that was 40 years ago. However if you look at the historic threads or can find a 1979 DCI yearbook, the disastrous off season after 1978 where snowstorms reduced practice times and Kiltie Hall’s roof collapse had more to do with their loss of competitive edge in 1979 than admitting women, and they never quite recovered. Of course with all this, I will defer to any Kilties if I am mistaken. 

There is a book We Winna Be Dauntit! The History of the Racine Kilties Drum and Bugle Corps 1934 - 1992 by George Fennell which explains what happened to the organization and it really had nothing to do with adding women MM’s. 

Bad financial management, incompetent administration and the ability to adapt to a changing activity were responsible. Appears to still be a problem for the organization. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i know a long time DCA corps that has some old timers still complain about letting females in.

Two guys in Kilties all-age quit because they let me in the brassline.  I wouldn’t have blamed them if they’d quit because of the female they let in after me that season. 

I spoke to the corps before they voted and said that they should do what they want.  It wasn’t the end of the world if they didn’t let me in.  It would have been dumb to not let me in however because I was a much better brass player than most of them.  Just sayin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

Did they say she isn't a member because of her gender? 

Did they even say she isn't a member?

Didn't they, in fact, say she is a member?

Are you doing her any favors by attacking the organization she has chosen to be a part of?

They claimed the women who marched with them in 1971 and 2005 weren't members. And my complaints were directed just as much at fans and alumni, including some on this exact thread, who claim the woman marching Madison now isn't a member as at the staff who claimed the women who marched before weren't members.

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Two guys in Kilties all-age quit because they let me in the brassline.  I wouldn’t have blamed them if they’d quit because of the female they let in after me that season. 

I spoke to the corps before they voted and said that they should do what they want.  It wasn’t the end of the world if they didn’t let me in.  It would have been dumb to not let me in however because I was a much better brass player than most of them.  Just sayin. 

Man, If I'd have been there- to me if you can cut it, I want you there. If someone has an attitude towards someone who can cut it because of their gender... as far as I'm concerned, I'd tell 'em Sayonara.. and I hope the door hits you on the way out.

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

There were already females in the corps (Kilties) inasmuch the color guard section went coed in the 1999 season.  It was brought to a membership vote to open the brass and percussion sections to females starting in the 2000 season.  There were actually two items presented to the membership, sadly it was combined into one issue for one overall vote.  The question was:  Open membership to females in all sections and maintain the the bottom age limit at 21.  All but two members voted "yes", thus opening the corps to full coed and (sadly IMO) keeping the lower minimum age at 21.  I voted "no" due to the age limit; getting involved on the recruitment end (at that time) it was clear the corps needed to lower it's minimum age limit.  I suggested to the Board of Directors down to 18 years old as a starting point (which came about a few years later), but it fell on deaf ears.  I recall one member taking the season off (there may had been another), but the reason for him taking the year off was family related and he returned in 2001 to perform with the corps through the 2010 season.       

14 hours ago, BigW said:

Exactly. If one wants to be pragmatic about this, I see time and time again comments about the top DCI corps having the best talent. If a corps effectively doubles the potential talent pool for members, you should end up with a more talented membership.

The very best hornline in the country in 1971, the Argonne Rebels, was a mix of guys and gals even before DCI. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i know a long time DCA corps that has some old timers still complain about letting females in.

I remember it well when the Reading Buccaneers decided to allow women to join. There was a lot of hysteria at rehearsal that infamous evening. Some actually quit the corps because of it. I was young and thrilled at the prospect of having women in the corps!

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

oh no this was a DCA corps long before the Kilties turned senior

• Like 1