A Woman Marching for Madison: A member this time?

glory

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Two guys in Kilties all-age quit because they let me in the brassline.  I wouldn’t have blamed them if they’d quit because of the female they let in after me that season. 

I spoke to the corps before they voted and said that they should do what they want.  It wasn’t the end of the world if they didn’t let me in.  It would have been dumb to not let me in however because I was a much better brass player than most of them.  Just sayin. 

I also remember dad telling me the stories about when the Yankee Rebels debated letting women in back in the mid 70's.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

The very best hornline in the country in 1971, the Argonne Rebels, was a mix of guys and gals even before DCI. 

Thank you Mike. And IIRC, the caption head was the legendary Sandra Opie?

42 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I also remember dad telling me the stories about when the Yankee Rebels debated letting women in back in the mid 70's.

The whole thing there... Hamilton Post....:wall::wall::wall:

The irony of it was that the destruction of Y-R gave the Westshoremen a huge influx of experienced talent that helped them get to the next step.

9 hours ago, bill said:

There were already females in the corps (Kilties) inasmuch the color guard section went coed in the 1999 season.  It was brought to a membership vote to open the brass and percussion sections to females starting in the 2000 season.  There were actually two items presented to the membership, sadly it was combined into one issue for one overall vote.  The question was:  Open membership to females in all sections and maintain the the bottom age limit at 21.  All but two members voted "yes", thus opening the corps to full coed and (sadly IMO) keeping the lower minimum age at 21.  I voted "no" due to the age limit; getting involved on the recruitment end (at that time) it was clear the corps needed to lower it's minimum age limit.  I suggested to the Board of Directors down to 18 years old as a starting point (which came about a few years later), but it fell on deaf ears.  I recall one member taking the season off (there may had been another), but the reason for him taking the year off was family related and he returned in 2001 to perform with the corps through the 2010 season.       

There were two.  I could name names but I was attempting to be polite.  I knew there were females in the guard.  

I wasn’t the one making a big deal out of it.  As I said to the corps, it’s your choice.  Not a big deal to me. 

In retrospect...Oh never mind.  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:
10 hours ago, bill said:

There were already females in the corps (Kilties) inasmuch the color guard section went coed in the 1999 season.  It was brought to a membership vote to open the brass and percussion sections to females starting in the 2000 season.  There were actually two items presented to the membership, sadly it was combined into one issue for one overall vote.  The question was:  Open membership to females in all sections and maintain the the bottom age limit at 21.  All but two members voted "yes", thus opening the corps to full coed and (sadly IMO) keeping the lower minimum age at 21.  I voted "no" due to the age limit; getting involved on the recruitment end (at that time) it was clear the corps needed to lower it's minimum age limit.  I suggested to the Board of Directors down to 18 years old as a starting point (which came about a few years later), but it fell on deaf ears.  I recall one member taking the season off (there may had been another), but the reason for him taking the year off was family related and he returned in 2001 to perform with the corps through the 2010 season.     

And now for the rest of the story. JC's wife didn't want him marching with women in the brass line, especially the middle voice section, so he took his horn and went home. Pajama Joe aka. Camel Joe - a baritone - didn't want any women in the corps, let alone the brass section. Joe was never right about anything - EVER. Like so many, it's now all irrelevant. Like so many others Terri, you tarnished a perfectly good junior corps career by joining in the first place. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

And now for the rest of the story. JC's wife didn't want him marching with women in the brass line, especially the middle voice section, so he took his horn and went home. Pajama Joe aka. Camel Joe - a baritone - didn't want any women in the corps, let alone the brass section. Joe was never right about anything - EVER. Like so many, it's now all irrelevant. Like so many others Terri, you tarnished a perfectly good junior corps career by joining in the first place.

Nods nods nods...

10 hours ago, BigW said:

Thank you Mike. And IIRC, the caption head was the legendary Sandra Opie?

Yup.

I had some friends in the hornline, and to a person they extolled her skills. The sound they produced for 1971 was miles ahead of everybody else. Even as an almost-18-year-old I heard the difference.

• Like 1

Why only 1?

If you're going to be all male, then be all male. If you want to be coed, be coed.

You can't be "all male, but if a really good female comes along, give her a spot instead"... that is not an organizational value.

This screams "gimmick" to me, unless it is the first step to increasing female membership.

Maybe Madison needs a gimmick to figure out their show design woes? idk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

Yup.

I had some friends in the hornline, and to a person they extolled her skills. The sound they produced for 1971 was miles ahead of everybody else. Even as an almost-18-year-old I heard the difference.

I was at a clinic she was teaching in 1977.  A wonderful woman and a great teacher.  She is my idol. 

• Thanks 1