A Look Back at 1971-1972

Good Evening,

I am working on a look back at the 1971-1972 drum corps period for an upcoming article for Drum Corps World, and looking for memories from drum corps members and fans of that period to incorporate into the article.

This period was not only the kick-off of Drum Corps World, it also marks a time of what may have seem like minor changes at the time, but looking back have had strategic implications on our activity.  Yes, DCI came into existence and the first shows kicked off in 1972, but there was a lot going on the East Coast, the West Coast, the Midwest, Canada, and with the senior corps that often doesn't get covered.

So, if you were engaged as a performer or a fan at that time what do you remember most about the period?  Your favorite show venue?  What about the crowds?  Do you remember the small town shows?

Your input is greatly appreciated.  Thank you for sharing the memories!

Michael Carlson

17 hours ago, mkcarlson said:

Good Evening,

I am working on a look back at the 1971-1972 drum corps period for an upcoming article for Drum Corps World, and looking for memories from drum corps members and fans of that period to incorporate into the article.

This period was not only the kick-off of Drum Corps World, it also marks a time of what may have seem like minor changes at the time, but looking back have had strategic implications on our activity.  Yes, DCI came into existence and the first shows kicked off in 1972, but there was a lot going on the East Coast, the West Coast, the Midwest, Canada, and with the senior corps that often doesn't get covered.

So, if you were engaged as a performer or a fan at that time what do you remember most about the period?  Your favorite show venue?  What about the crowds?  Do you remember the small town shows?

Your input is greatly appreciated.  Thank you for sharing the memories!

Michael Carlson

I'd be delighted to contribute to your article . I Actually marched from 1965-1972 with the Simplex Minutemen DBC of Gardner, Mass. Drum Corps First, Fully Corporately sponsored Corps in the activity....have been continually  active in the activity since  1965.I currently volunteer/tour co driver, supporter, fan of THE ACADEMY SINCE 2004. Feel free to contact me and advise me as to how best to follow up with you. FYI: Steve Vicker's and I go WAAAAY back, LOL had the pleasure of communicating with him on several occassions regarding pics of my old Corps featured in one of his Corps History books.  But I have ones from 1970-1972 that I have yet to see ever published by Drum Corps World.  I have much to say, tell and show. so hit me up.  Please Advise, Cheers Mate.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 11:37 AM, Northern Thunder said:

Great years!

"Great Years":

Great indeed,   I believe it was THE "Greatest" due to what was almost "Parity" between the league leading junior corps.  Of the almost dozen plus contenders almost all of them had beaten the rest of the pack at least one time over the course of the season and at seasons end the championship titles were spraed around pretty well.

27th Lancers had the Shriners, Dream and World Open, Blue Rock won CYO and US Open,  Anahime Kingsmen the "Mid America", Argonne rebels the American Legion Nationals, and Santa Clara the VFW Nationals.

Elphaba     :flower:

Edited by elphaba01