All time shows: Troopers

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Have things to do the next couple of days, before I head out, the scary thing about this thread to me is how most of the discussion's about the pre-DCI period. With a couple of exceptions, it's kind of like, yeah they do things now, but nothing's really grabbing people and involving them except for 2009 and maybe another show since 1979? :huh:

While true on the competition front, theres been lots of  more recent shows from the Troopers ( last decade or so ) that I've liked and enjoyed a lot, despite their scores.

OK... Trooper faves for me, in no particular order:

2009... back in Finals!!!

1975... not their best corps, but a cool show. Opener was great.

1970... old school, with a signature marching style and visual execution that was second to none.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, BigW said:

Have things to do the next couple of days, before I head out, the scary thing about this thread to me is how most of the discussion's about the pre-DCI period. With a couple of exceptions, it's kind of like, yeah they do things now, but nothing's really grabbing people and involving them except for 2009 and maybe another show since 1979? :huh:

When the corps spends literally decades out of Finals, they tend to drop out of people's minds.  Especially in the late 80's - early 2000's, if you weren't top 12, there wasn't much, if any, in the way of media exposure. It was two years after I first saw DCI on PBS that I got to read a program from Finals and found out there was even 25 corps, much less the ones that weren't included. 

That's one great thing about social media for drum corps - today everyone's able to see (and have an opinion) on every corps in the circuit. 

Mike

• Thanks 1

Two Trooper moves I always loved: the sunburst, and the rifle toss-across with someone in the middle of the circle.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, c mor said:

Two Trooper moves I always loved: the sunburst, and the rifle toss-across with someone in the middle of the circle.

Those were great!!!   At least a few years, it was the drum major in the middle of the circle.

Another cool move, for its era.... when they tossed the rifles over the outstretched flagpoles.  Today, stuff like that is easy peasy.  LOL.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Those were great!!!   At least a few years, it was the drum major in the middle of the circle.

Another cool move, for its era.... when they tossed the rifles over the outstretched flagpoles.  Today, stuff like that is easy peasy.  LOL.

They were much heavier back then ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

They were much heavier back then ;)

Good point. Some of that equipment... it was like throwing a motorcycle.  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2018 at 9:21 PM, Fran Haring said:

1975... not their best corps, but a cool show. Opener was great.

That, Fran, is the "Introduction and Fantasia" I was talking about earlier. It was written by the composer as his interpretation of an Apollo Moon mission. That's what he told us. :satisfied:

One of those daggone Symphonic Band pieces that, according to a certain person in a couple of his threads a bit ago... ruined the activity. :whistle: Kind of Ironic that even the Troopers are guilty of wrecking Drum Corps....

Shoot... can't remember the year... they did a ballad that was my absolute favorite of that year... it was 2014-2016... rrrr... wish I could remember... I'll scour youtube later.