All time shows: Phantom Regiment

On 3/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, ThePlanets said:

Thank you so much for everyone that has participated in all of these threads. 

Last but not least. The results for Phantom Regiment.

1. 1996 A Defiant Heart

2. 1989 From the New World Into a New Age

3. 2008 Spartacus

4. 1993 The Modern Imagination

5. TIE 2003 Harmonic Journey and 2006 Faust

HMs for 1991, 2007, 2010, 1982, 1979

Least favorite

2017 Phantasm

2009 wasn't least fave? Wow.

4 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I can actually listen to that one though.   

IMO, it's not their absolute worst show (and in some ways it's actually underrated), but it came off as a show Crown or the Blue Stars would do, not Phantom Regiment.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 1:21 AM, Rusty said:

2010: Paul Rennick's swan song doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves.  That's one of the best openers that Phantom has ever put on the field.  Unquestionably, "Into the Light" was the most beautiful thing on the field in 2010.

Agreed, but like almost all shows at that time, it was heavy on the synthetic bass.

This is definitely one of the hardest to choose only a few. I've got it narrowed down to a solid 3 with an honorable mention and it has taken a ton of thought to narrow it down to these 4 shows.

1. 1996 - This is undeniably one of the most passionate driven shows of all time and they brought the heat every single night that summer. I marched that year and got to see them quite a few times during the summer and watched the show progress was pretty cool. Obviously going into finals they were entrenched in a fight w/ BD for the top spot and ended up tied which I usually have a massive issue w/ but in this instance I don't think you  could deny either show a World Championship.

2. 2008 - Spartacus is one of the game changing thematic shows of the last 20 years and the level of playing that they brought to the table was just unreal. To this day one of my favorite shows that PR has ever put on.

3. 1993 - I know that they are overshadowed by Star and Cadets from the magic that was '93 but I am thoroughly convinced that if they had played this show a year later they would have won a World Championship. The overall production was top notch and they were simply outscored by two of the iconic shows of DCI history.

Honorable Mention - Quite a few could fit this slot but I'm going to go with 1989's New World Symphony show. This was one of the first shows that I remember falling in love with (at 11) and it still gets a lot of spin in my DCI playlists.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DCIPhan78 said:

Honorable Mention - Quite a few could fit this slot but I'm going to go with 1989's New World Symphony show. This was one of the first shows that I remember falling in love with (at 11) and it still gets a lot of spin in my DCI playlists.

For what it’s worth I think Phantom “borrowed” that show design from my high school (Metamora High School).  We played an original New World Symphony score at the Illinois State Marching band championships in 1987.  A lot of the same music Phantom put on the field in 1989...

Thats my story and I’m sticking to it anyway.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:22 PM, Jeff Ream said:

2009 wasn't least fave? Wow.

Nah. It certainly wasn't in the running for favorite...but it only got a few negatives. Phantasm ran away with that one.

I know I am in the vast minority but I kind of liked the red violin. 

Swan Lake was my head scratcher for Phantom...but as many have said they just haven't been the same since 2012.

Favorites......2008, 1989, 1978, 1979, and 1996.

Least - 2009

I thoroughly enjoy all PR shows, so this is always fun and extremely difficult.

The top five for me are:

2006 Faust-All-time favorite. That was the year I was first introduced to drum corps and PR was the first corps I laid eyes on. In my opinion, it was the best 2nd place show of all-time and is the quintessential PR show of shows. From start to finish, it is just a complete show that evokes the very best of the PR identity.

2007 On Air-One of the most fun and complete shows that season, and it showcased many PR traditions throughout the show. Birds and PR, who would've thought? I really hope they do the wedge formation and kick again soon, it is an instant crowd popper. 

2008 Spartacus/1996 Defiant Heart-I honestly can't pick one over the other, they are both quality shows from two different generations. Championship victories aside, they are just really amazing productions that never cease to evoke emotions from fans throughout the activity. 

1989 New World Symphony-Holy mellos and buicks. Very classy and very loud.

1995-Adventures Under a Darkened Sky-I think it's an underrated show that gets buried amidst other quality shows mid-decade. It was a lot of fun, loved the debut of the black unis, and who can forget the powerful ballad?

Honorable mention: 2017-Phantasm-This one is my wild card favorite. I say that because it took me a while to get into it (wasn't digging the electronics), but it really grew on me and is now a very special show to me. Loved the company front and kick halt in the closer as a callback to the Defiant Heart show, it was powerful. 

Otherwise, just about every other PR show is always on my playlist!