Summer Music Games Cincinnati

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m bringing my stadium seat to Mason.  The one thing I cannot live without is a seat back.  My 60 year old back needs lumbar support.  :laughing:

I use them to keep knees off my back.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2018 at 2:41 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting. Remembering that Hamilton and Fairfield are also pretty big schools (for Ohio), I decided to look up exactly were Ohio's largest among the states 800+ high schools. Using the state athletic association figures, which admittedly only include grades 9-11, this is what I found. Curiously, seven of the top ten, which I note below with an asterisk, are located in southwest Ohio. All seven are in Cincinnati or Dayton exurbs, which I find interesting because Cincinnati is only the state's third-largest city (100K behind number two and almost 500K behind number one), and Dayton is only the sixth-largest city:

Mason -- 2,661*

Fairfield -- 2,369*

Lakota East -- 2,087*

Centerville -- 2,030*

Hamilton -- 1,397*

Beavercreek -- 1,893*

Canton McKinley -- 1,890

Lakota West -- 1,864*

Gahanna Lincoln -- 1,847

Brunswick -- 1,837

WARNING - BORING stuff that I may get yelled at for, sorry for boring you all that aren't remotely interested in this stuff....

I was curious about your data. It's the off season, so I checked enrollment numbers from around the state for fun... 

I think the Hamilton enrollment number above is a typo, but I thought your gave some very interesting enrollment numbers so I did some investigating.

My theory is that the Central Ohio school districts ( mostly the suburb schools near and around Columbus, Ohio) have chosen to build new high schools in their districts when their enrollment numbers get to around 2,000 or more students in a particular high school in that district ( due to new neighborhoods being built and new people moving into the area or other population growth). After the new school is built, they then redraw their enrollment maps and spread the students evenly around the districts service areas. This explains why the enrollment numbers are lower for some of their high schools than in the Dayton/Cincy area schools.

I know this to be the case for Hilliard, Dublin, SWCS, Pickerington, Worthington, Westerville, and Olentangy. They've all added high schools in the last 20 years (30 years for Worthington), which resulted in reduced numbers in their original schools.

After checking things out, it looks like most of the districts in the rest of the state that you've mentioned only have one or at the most two high schools in their district. 

If you look at each school district's total enrollment (HS enrollment numbers), the enrollment numbers show larger numbers of students in the Columbus area than any other area in the state. 

Imagine if you took the students from one high school in each of those districts in Columbus and put them evenly into the other high schools in their district ; then you'd have numbers closer to or greater than those in Mason, Lakota, Centerville,  or the other schools in the state. Incidentally, this is what happened in reverse when the new high school were built, which caused some groups from the area to shrink for a long while...

Here's my data:

Average Daily Enrollment 9-12

West and Southwest Ohio (Dayton/Cincy) Schools:

Lakota Local:  Total 4,606

Lakota East -- 2,414 ( from ODE Report Card)

Lakota West -- 2,192 ( from ODE Report Card)

Centerville City

Centerville -- 2,737 ( from ODE Report Card)

Hamilton City

Hamilton -- 1,812 ( from ODE Report Card)

Beavercreek City 

Beavercreek -- 2, 330 ( from ODE Report Card)

Fairfield Local - Total HS Enrollment: 2,567

Fairfield -- 1,874 ( from ODE Report Card)

Fairfield Freshman high school -- 693 ( from ODE Report Card)

Mason City -- Total HS Enrollment: 3,467

William Mason -- 3,467 ( from ODE Report Card) -  WOW

Northeastern Ohio Schools

Brunswick City

Brunswick -- 2,139 ( from ODE Report Card)

Canton City -- Total HS Enrollment: 2,480

Canton McKinley -- 2,298 ( from ODE Report Card)

Choices Alternative -- 98 ( from ODE Report Card)

Canton City Digital Academy -- 84 ( from ODE Report Card)

Central Ohio Schools:

South-Western City: Total HS Enrollment: 6,316

Grove City -- 1,888 ( from ODE Report Card)

Central Crossing** -- 1,559 ( from ODE Report Card)

Westland -- 1,586 ( from ODE Report Card)

Franklin Heights -- 1,283 ( from ODE Report Card)

Olentangy Local -- Total HS Enrollment: 5,810

Olentangy High School* -- 1,809  ( from ODE Report Card)

Olentangy Liberty** 2,121 -- ( from ODE Report Card)

Olentangy Orange**  -- 1,880 ( from ODE Report Card)

Hilliard City: Total HS Enrollment 4,724

Hilliard Bradley** -- 1,559 ( from ODE Report Card)

Hilliard Darby** -- 1,500 ( from ODE Report Card)

Hillard Davidson* -- 1,665 ( from ODE Report Card)

Dublin City -- Total HS Enrollment: 4,698

Dublin Coffman* -- 1,815 ( from ODE Report Card)

Dublin Jerome** -- 1,620 ( from ODE Report Card)

Dublin Scioto** --  1,263 ( from ODE Report Card)

Westerville City Schools -- Total HS Enrollment: 4,621

Westerville North -- 1,434 ( from ODE Report Card)

Westerville Central** -- 1,794 ( from ODE Report Card)

Westerville South* -- 1,393 ( from ODE Report Card)

Pickerington Local -- Total HS Enrollment: 3,266

Pickering Central* -- 1,658 ( from ODE Report Card)

Pickerington North** -- 1,608 ( from ODE Report Card)

Worthington City-- Total HS Enrollment: 2,909

Thomas Worthington* -- 1,720 ( from ODE Report Card)

Worthington Kilborne** -- 1,189  ( from ODE Report Card)

Upper Arlington -- 1,785 ( from ODE Report Card)

ODE = Ohio Department of Education... (http://reportcard.education.ohio.gov/Pages/School-Search.aspx)

* = Original School in District

**= Newer school in District

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2018 at 1:17 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Sounds lovely.  The Indianapolis season opener in 2014 was this bad.  It wasn’t held at LOS but at a high school west of the city.  A very unpleasant experience. 

Was it at Northwest High School that year? They opened 2011 there as well. It usually serves as a housing site for the Premier when hosted at Lucas Oil. I've been there a few times. The 2011 show and some rehearsals. It is a low-funded school that seems to be in worse shape every year.  Reference -> https://www.indystar.com/videos/news/2017/06/22/listen-dci-world-champion-bluecoats-drum-corps-warm-up/103112948/

Trying to get back to topic, I went to the Centerville show once. A 4 hour drive from Indiana to the show because I was desperate to see SCV's Phantom of The Opera show. lol. (August 2nd and still 3 full points ahead of Madison at the time, smh) I was around 16, so I couldn't really tell you how good or bad the venue was. My mind was singularly focused that day.

5 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Was it at Northwest High School that year? They opened 2011 there as well. It usually serves as a housing site for the Premier when hosted at Lucas Oil. I've been there a few times. The 2011 show and some rehearsals. It is a low-funded school that seems to be in worse shape every year.  Reference -> https://www.indystar.com/videos/news/2017/06/22/listen-dci-world-champion-bluecoats-drum-corps-warm-up/103112948/

Trying to get back to topic, I went to the Centerville show once. A 4 hour drive from Indiana to the show because I was desperate to see SCV's Phantom of The Opera show. lol. (August 2nd and still 3 full points ahead of Madison at the time, smh) I was around 16, so I couldn't really tell you how good or bad the venue was. My mind was singularly focused that day.

No, it was a school with a name.  I think it was Ben Davis.  It took a half hour or more to get a bottle of water.   Bathroom situation was not good either 

Edited by Terri Schehr

On 3/27/2018 at 5:41 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting. Remembering that Hamilton and Fairfield are also pretty big schools (for Ohio), I decided to look up exactly were Ohio's largest among the states 800+ high schools. Using the state athletic association figures, which admittedly only include grades 9-11, this is what I found. Curiously, seven of the top ten, which I note below with an asterisk, are located in southwest Ohio. All seven are in Cincinnati or Dayton exurbs, which I find interesting because Cincinnati is only the state's third-largest city (100K behind number two and almost 500K behind number one), and Dayton is only the sixth-largest city:

Mason -- 2,661*

Fairfield -- 2,369*

Lakota East -- 2,087*

Centerville -- 2,030*

Hamilton -- 1,397*

Beavercreek -- 1,893*

Canton McKinley -- 1,890

Lakota West -- 1,864*

Gahanna Lincoln -- 1,847

Brunswick -- 1,837

Unfortunately, the size of the HS does not equate to the size of the HS stadium. For example, Beavercreek has about 2500 in grades 9-12 (and 300+ in the marching band), but it has a horrible stadium in size and condition. 

6 hours ago, DAvery said:

Unfortunately, the size of the HS does not equate to the size of the HS stadium. For example, Beavercreek has about 2500 in grades 9-12 (and 300+ in the marching band), but it has a horrible stadium in size and condition. 

The Kettering Fairmont band complained about this fact in a Facebook post last fall.

On 4/2/2018 at 4:29 PM, oldbandguy said:

jjeffeory...interesting data on the Columbus suburbs enrollment numbers.  Can you imagine the MONSTER band program if Southwestern City had stayed with the ONE high school concept! 

Or Pick-town, or Worthington (!), or, can you imagine, DUBLIN?

Dublin Jerome was built in the cornfields west of Dublin, is now full and their plan is to triple its size, and it will be inner-city as the 20 miles from Dublin to the Honda test track becomes another New Albany...

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 1:29 PM, oldbandguy said:

jjeffeory...interesting data on the Columbus suburbs enrollment numbers.  Can you imagine the MONSTER band program if Southwestern City had stayed with the ONE high school concept! 

They'd have a 500 to 600 member band...

Actually all the schools would have monster sized groups. Hilliard, Westerville, and Dublin would be huge.  I imagine Worthington and Olentangy would be huge too.

Edited by jjeffeory