The Commandant's Own...now with electronics!

The U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps performed tonight at a Houston-area high school.  I couldn't attend due to a prior commitment, but my wife was kind enough to cue up a video on the school district's website at http://www.ccisd.net/.  (I'd link directly to the vid, but I can't find it - right now it appears to be on the front page of the site.  Skip to the -46:00 mark to see them feeding onto the field.) 

Not sure what the rep is for the show, but it looks decent and sounds great.  At one point, I realized just how wonderful it was to hear a good horn line really cranking on G bugles.  

And then I noticed some weird sound effects.  Then strings.  Yep: they have a synth in the pit, with amps at the 35 on side one and the 40 on side two.  

Basically, it's Hop's world.  We just live in it.

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

The U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps performed tonight at a Houston-area high school.  I couldn't attend due to a prior commitment, but my wife was kind enough to cue up a video on the school district's website at http://www.ccisd.net/.  (I'd link directly to the vid, but I can't find it - right now it appears to be on the front page of the site.  Skip to the -46:00 mark to see them feeding onto the field.) 

Not sure what the rep is for the show, but it looks decent and sounds great.  At one point, I realized just how wonderful it was to hear a good horn line really cranking on G bugles.  

And then I noticed some weird sound effects.  Then strings.  Yep: they have a synth in the pit, with amps at the 35 on side one and the 40 on side two.  

As a prior service Marine that served in the Commandant's Own..........................Say it isn't so.

I wonder how high up the Chain-of-Command they had to go to get permission to remove their covers while outdoors.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

8 hours ago, Rusty said:

Oh, you poor thing... :lle:

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Rusty said:

Opener sounds like the action music from the Matt Smith "Dr Who" years,

The drum corps has changed its show style in recent years... I'm guessing in an effort to stay relevant in the recruiting game.

The people they're looking to recruit are members of today's competition corps.... who by now, should be used to electronics and so forth.

I wonder, though, if there is a fine line here with this particular corps... between what the members are comfortable with, and what the audience (which, with this corps, has tended to be more of a general "John and Jane Doe" audience at various venues) is comfortable with. Time will tell, I suppose.

Edited by Fran Haring

their front ensemble has been plugged in at least 2 years now...maybe 3. they do a great performance percussion only at WGI every year....chilling actually. the visual package and design has gotten very modern the last 3/4 years.which i am ok with because they seemed stuck between 1980-1995 for a long time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff is right. The Marines have gotten better - much better - the past couple of years as they dropped the "old-fashioned" programming approach. Lots of folks in my section in Indy last summer remarked on the improvement.

Too many uncovered heads in drum corps in general. Marines. DCI. All of it. Corps in general look better covered. Doesn't mean there aren't uncovered effects that work. There just aren't many places/times where the bare heads are better than the covered ones. 

I figure the only way I can criticize the Commandant’s Own is when I survive boot camp. I’d probably survive five minutes.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1