The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

20 minutes ago, OrlandoContraAlum said:

Agreed, but the article also mentioned that no women spoke with the board. That makes me wonder if they were approached, if they didn't trust the board, or something else. 

Whatever happens, this is a pretty critical time for DCI. The corps and high school band world is so very intertwined, this has to be handled properly or there will be long-term repercussions.

For just one example, it's already hard enough to find housing for all corps at all shows. Having something like this hanging over the activity will only make it that much harder, especially if it's not handled well. 

The article makes it clear that the attorney representing the victims set terms in order for them to be heard by an investigation. It had to be independent. And George needed to be suspended first, or they would not participate. Implying that the organization cannot be trusted to operate an independent investigation with George working day -to-day. The board did not agree to these terms.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There was a very well done research paper back in 1993 that describes why senior executives do things like this during otherwise brilliant careers.  The military picked up on it and it has been helpful in creating oversight mechanisms to detect / prevent unethical leadership behaviors.  The paper is basically a call to action for oversight boards to actively monitor the behavior of their executives.  For the mods - this is open-source now.  Interesting read:

Ludwig+Longenecker,%20The%20Bathsheba%20

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I'm not knowledgeable about the details of the Crossmen, Bridgemen, or Muchachos.  But I stand by my opinion.  When a person does something wrong, THAT PERSON is the one who should be punished.  Not the organization as a whole.

I'm not advocating any particular action by DCI.  I'm just pointing out that there are precedents in which entire corps have been punished for the actions of their management.

Sometimes punishments are meant to send messages to other potential wrongdoers and enablers of wrongdoers and not just be about punishment for the offense in question.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they were eligible under the rules both seasons.

and yet MSU gets nothing.

Ohio State was punished more than either PSU and MSU for their players tattoos for trinkets. But the Buckeyes still remain the big dog in the B1G.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I felt nauseated reading this.  Fear for the activity, this needs to be exposed and dealt with not just at Cadets but everywhere, but I’m so scared it’s going to overwhelm the whole activity.  Sadness for the current MMs who are going to have this unfair and tragic thing looming over them this summer.  Admiration for these women stepping forward and empathy/disgust for what they had to go through.  Anger at the BOD for doing nothing and at George Hopkins for doing these things.  To youths.  I am just beyond disgusted and upset about this.  

Get him and the BOD the hell out of there and DCI please handle this the right way or this could, and should at that point, go way farther than this.  

:(

Just look to Wynn Resorts and how they are handling a similar situation.   YEA and DCI need to be proactive and get ahead of the PROBLEM immediately

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

The article makes it clear that the attorney representing the victims set terms in order for them to be heard by an investigation. It had to be independent. And George needed to be suspended first, or they would not participate. Implying that the organization cannot be trusted to operate an independent investigation with George working day -to-day. The board did not agree to these terms.

Thanks, I didn't grasp that part of the article on first read.

Crazy that they hired the law firm already representing the board to investigate. That would not be an independent investigation - it is no wonder they didn't cooperate.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1