The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Now that these woman have come forward, it will be up to both DCI and YEA to publically put out a press release as to their initial reaction to this newspaper's investigatory piece.... and what both intend to do moving forward with it.

And neither will happen...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

And neither will happen...

although lawyers many say no I do think at some point some kind of comment needs to be made, at least to corps or their corps. Silence doesn't always work because then it goes out to the court of public opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what can happen when you allow one person to lead the corps and be CEO of the organization that oversees the corps.  Why is there always such a turnover at YEA.  Maybe people knew.  Maybe he treated people lousy or both.  No one could confront the board because they felt they had to pass through GH first.  He always seemed to be the end all be all.

• Like 2

I agree with Garfield as well. Each corps should have their own policy set up to prevent this.

At Raiders, we have this policy and make all our staff, administrators and board members pass a background check before they can be in front of the members.
If Cadets do not have this policy then whatever happens to them is on them.

I feel bad for all the MM as well as YEA office workers, YEA Marching Bands and all other programs under YEA.
Sad day for all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

although lawyers many say no I do think at some point some kind of comment needs to be made, at least to corps or their corps. Silence doesn't always work because then it goes out to the court of public opinion.

We could only speculate, but YEA has to communicate something, somehow. They have a camp in a couple of days and the scale of this blow up is well beyond our little digital corners of DCP, Reddit, etc. I am getting texts and calls from people that have not been involved or following the activity for ages. There is no way that every Cadets parent doesn't know of this by sundown. Maybe they wait to have a verbal communication to open the camp. But I doubt they can get away with a "no comment" to the current members and parents.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OldBones said:

I agree with Garfield as well. Each corps should have their own policy set up to prevent this.

At Raiders, we have this policy and make all our staff, administrators and board members pass a background check before they can be in front of the members.
If Cadets do not have this policy then whatever happens to them is on them.

I feel bad for all the MM as well as YEA office workers, YEA Marching Bands and all other programs under YEA.
Sad day for all.

What background check would have prevented this? To my knowledge he doesn't have a criminal record.

Background checks aren't going to catch most sexual predators because most sexual assaults aren't reported

• Like 1

No statement on YEA site as yet. Hopkins still mentioned.

Just re-read the article a second time and watched the videos.  Kim Carter's, in particular, is heart-wrenching.

#### this guy.

• Like 3