The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, seen-it-all said:

Hypothetical question: George decides he wants to speak to the combined members of both corps (Cadets and C2) at camp this weekend. Good idea or bad idea?

Terrible. Legal counsel shouldn't even consider advising him to go to the camp much less speak.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Hypothetical question: George decides he wants to speak to the combined members of both corps (Cadets and C2) at camp this weekend. Good idea or bad idea?

worst idea

5 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

The best solution would be a carefully prepared statement read to respective memberships by someone else on his behalf. Emphasis on carefully prepared.

7 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Bad idea. Too self serving. He needs to stay away. 

6 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

If he has ANY sense of self-preservation, he'll stay far away from the activity. Hell, he should probably sell his car, move to a new apartment, and shave his head. He is probably persona non grata wherever he goes right now

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

A little bit different angle than "how could the board allow him to remain in his position?" is "why would the staff continue to work with him given such allegations?"

This would just be speculation, but since you had heard rumors and knew this would soon be blowing up, would you think, say, Cadets designers knew of this allegation? 

I can't imagine being a guy like Drew Shanefield and wanting my name so closely associated with a person accused of such deeds by so many women or with an organization that presumably knew of the allegations and did nothing. This isn't a large organization where any single employee is pretty invisible, but there are a small group of designers who are routinely on design video discussions with Hopkins. 

Who knew what and when is often key in these situations. Remember, rumors and allegations are two separate things. Rumors should be investigated, but without an allegation in matters such as this,  rumors can be hard to prove. Also the problem proesecutors often have is those who make the accusations are too ashamed to say anything at the time and perpetrators rarely speak about the matter. I can’t see GH sharing sexual conquests with marching members at meetings with design staff.  Also we need to remember who we are speaking about in this situation. GH is controversial and while i’ve never heard rumors of this nature about him, just about every possible rumor in drum corps has been attached to him. It is also believed by many his board is simply a rubber stamp for him. If you are his board member, and you know people love spreading rumors about him, you may not be so quick to believe them. Rumors of this nature should be investigated and we don’t know yet they were not investigated, but I can see where his board and staff may not know much.

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

The best solution would be a carefully prepared statement read to respective memberships by someone else on his behalf. Emphasis on carefully prepared.

YEA and The Cadets would be smart not to even mention his name or the impending possible legal action. Perhaps have a prepared statement that sums up that The Cadets are moving forward with New Beginnings and now we start from here type of thing and leave it at that. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, camel lips said:

YEA and The Cadets would be smart not to even mention his name or the impending possible legal action. Perhaps have a prepared statement that sums up that The Cadets are moving forward with New Beginnings and now we start from here type of thing and leave it at that. 

We'll have to see. To me, "carefully prepared" means the lawyers on retainer go over it and approve every letter and syllable.