The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yet another board of directors who could find absolutely no evidence.  But the newspaper could.  This is such a pattern.  Sad.  Talk about enablers.  Cadets is more than one person and will survive and thrive......assuming the correct actions are taken SOON to remove the director.

Look how spread out around the country they are. I've never worked at a non-profit or served on a board, but is that common? That sounds like an invitation to the left hand not knowing what the right is doing, all jokes aside.

• Like 1

"If these allegations are proven..." or some such sentiment has appeared on this thread several times. In terms of the drum corps activity, these corroborated stories from these 9 women are proof. These testimonies are sufficient for the drum corps activity to shove Hop out the door and tell him they never want to see his face near any corps or corps member again. Leave it up to law enforcement to work on the legal proof which, at this stage, is hard to imagine how "proof" could ever be established, except for the very well-stated testimony of these women. That's enough for me and it should be enough for anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly, the only board member with a bio is Ronald D. Ingber.

"Managing partner of the New York law firm, Siler & Ingber, is an experienced litigator who puts his heart and soul into improving the lives of those who come to Siler & Ingber for legal representation."

:35_thinking:

1 minute ago, flugelswerebugels said:

"If these allegations are proven..." or some such sentiment has appeared on this thread several times. In terms of the drum corps activity, these corroborated stories from these 9 women are proof. These testimonies are sufficient for the drum corps activity to shove Hop out the door and tell him they never want to see his face near any corps or corps member again. Leave it up to law enforcement to work on the legal proof which, at this stage, is hard to imagine how "proof" could ever be established, except for the very well-stated testimony of these women. That's enough for me and it should be enough for anyone.

By "...the drum corps activity...", to whom do you refer?

Fans?  Vets? Current MMs?  Or DCI in Indy?

Just now, garfield said:

By "...the drum corps activity...", to whom do you refer?

Fans?  Vets? Current MMs?  Or DCI in Indy?

All of the above would be best?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liahona said:

To the victims of George Hopkins' sexual abuse et al:

It took a lot of courage to tell us and the world about this. You didn’t do anything to deserve this. We care about you and are here to listen or help in any way we can.  This shouldn’t have happened to you.

To The Cadets BoD:

It appears that a culture existed that prevented yea.org employees or volunteers from expressing concerns in fear of director retaliation. Where is the employee or volunteer to turn to when unethical practices (or in this case sexual abusive behaviour) are occurring right in front of their eyes? Honestly, you should be ashamed that you let such a culture go on for decades and literally did nothing about it.

To the Cadets Alumni:

I really feel sorry for you right now.  I understand the "pride" that comes from knowing that "The Cadets" was made up of high achievers. And since you shared that collective experience, the simple fact of just "being" an alumnus can identify and project some of that tremendous achievement of the organization onto yourselves. That pride can't be very refulgent right now in light of the current situation.  

To George Hopkins:

Resign.

Very Well said. Lets not forget the kids that have worked hard over the years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skek64 said:

I just UN-friended George. Maybe the few thousand other people who are on his friends' list might want to consider doing the same.

I want to hang around for the melt myself. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

USBands could take a huge hit. The Philly paper covers a wide swath of their territory

Very possible. 

7 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

Hard to see him surviving this story. Nine women with similar stories over 40 years is powerful. Nine women came forward, how many did not? I also find it difficult to believe no one would talk to the YEA investigator. YEA needs to move on this quickly before the summer is lost. 

This summer is the least of the issue.  This could easilly lead to the end of DCI and Drum Corps as we know it.

• Like 1