The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

58 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

BP only works if it's adhered to, tho.   Someone who really wants to groom a kid or straight up assault them won't be deterred much.

And I'll disagree about the length and prominence being key factors.  For Hop, yes....but there's no real-world difference between a corps director doing it over several decades with potentially multiple victims and the director of a first year start-up corps in his first position of authority doing the same thing.

A matter of degree?  Perhaps.

A difference in the damage caused to the affected?  Zero.

Yes sir.  You're standing over there, and I'm standing over here.  But we are both standing on this side of the fence.

I applaud BD's preparedness and protection for its charges.  They are a model to be followed.  

10 minutes ago, Lance said:

if it's even one 16 year old,  it's pretty revolting to see people react with "it was more of a workplace sexual harassment issue." 

whether you understand it or not, it's a mitigating statement your're making. 

I'm not mitigating at all.  It's reprehensible behavior and action needs to be taken.   But it is not similar to the child abuse scenarios of Sandusky and Nassar, and that was the only thing I was addressing - that's its not an accurate comparison.   IMO it tends to downplay the seriousness and evil of child abuse when it's lumped together with something very different.  

Taking once piece of one sentence of my post out of contest isn't accurate either. 

Edited by TwoValves

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think DCI’s statement can be read between the lines to say the current director has to go. Will fan response be negative to the corps this summer? These accusations are based on actions that happened in many cases before the marching members were born. Any fan who would not support the kids on the field as a way of blaming them for the director’s behavior would be ignorant. My guess is that if the Cadets is able to field a corps, they will well received if for no other reason, they are beleaguered. My hope is that the many good and talented Cadets alums who have wanted the corps, and there’s a slew of them, will work together to keep the corps alive, and that could happen. Cadets alums are a formidable group, and while GH had his supporters, the loyalty was to the corps first. Since so many are educators, they already know what is expected regarding the safety of young people, this could reassure parents. I hope they are able to group and keep the corps together.

Perhaps we could organize something like sending letters of support and encouragement to the MMs this year. These accusations will obviously be profoundly discouraging to many of them, and it might be nice to show that the communities here, on reddit and elsewhere, fully support them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

They knew it was coming. An email went out to Cadets alums and supporters in the name of a staff member asking for letters of support to be sent to the board last weekend 

I don't understand.  What good are letters of support, sent to the YEA board, going to do?  That's like putting a towel under your cabin door when the Titanic is sinking.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Yes in its entirety.   The allegations with 5 of them were employees working in the office - not members of the corps.  3 made claims from when they were marching members in the early 1980's, and the 9th isn't identified.  

I'm not excusing any of the behavior.  Just being clear that it was more of a workplace sexual harassment issue, and not a case of young children being left alone with a predator in situations like showers or exam rooms.  That comparison is not accurate.  

OK - so only 3 claims were made by marching members.

How many claims are allowed before action is taken?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I have already been in contact with the office of Dr. Michael Gorman, the president of Salem Community College where The Cadets are hosting  camp this weekend.   I forwarded them the article from The Inquirer.   I asked why their campus would willingly host someone who has been accused of sexual assault.  I followed up with a call.  The woman who answered was clearly caught off guard.  She said they have been made aware of the situation and are working with campus staff to address it.  She said they would likely be issuing a statement, but not until tomorrow.     

I, unlike the Board of YEA, act fast.  I will not sit silently as someone who has been accused of rape can continue working with youth.  It is unacceptable.  

PROTECT THE MEMBERS!

With all due respect, give them some time. You expected a knee-jerk reaction by the housing site the day that the article appeared? And you expected the president of the college to immediately know about the article? An email and then a call - I'm not surprised that they'd be caught off guard. 

They should be given time to process all information, and I'm sure they'll do the right thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Logistical question:

Let's say Hopkins is fired.  Let's say anyone who knew about this and said nothing is fired.  Who could take over YEA and the Cadets in a manner that would be seamless to their operation?