The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

Logistical question:

Let's say Hopkins is fired.  Let's say anyone who knew about this and said nothing is fired.  Who could take over YEA and the Cadets in a manner that would be seamless to their operation?

Seamless? Nobody. Well, maybe Rudy but I doubt he's leaving BD.

The goal at this point isn't a seamless transition, it is survival of the corps.

Just now, barigirl78 said:

Logistical question:

Let's say Hopkins is fired.  Let's say anyone who knew about this and said nothing is fired.  Who could take over YEA and the Cadets in a manner that would be seamless to their operation?

It COULD have been Justin, but he's with BD now so....dunno.

Maybe a former staffer or alum who's clean and not caught up in this??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barigirl78 said:

Logistical question:

Nobody.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

I'm reeling, as are all Cadet alums and probably everyone else in the drum corps community...

If you follow the Cadets threads you know I am quite critical. I was going to post this a while back but didn't; these accusations put it in a new light.

GH's whole "philosophy" of "choose your attitude," etc. is emotional manipulation, to deflect blame away from leadership. All his self-aggrandizing and etc... it's all part of a web of emotional manipulation and making critics question themselves. His interactions with staff, members, parents etc. always had this strange manipulative character.

Anyway...some of these happened when I was a member (2006). It certainly makes you look back at the experience--which I have very mixed feelings about--in a different light.

Hopkins is DONE

Cadets are DONE

YEA is DONE

hmmm sound familiar to anyone?   a subject not allowed I guess

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

I'm not mitigating at all.  It's reprehensible behavior and action needs to be taken.   But it is not similar to the child abuse scenarios of Sandusky and Nassar, and that was the only thing I was addressing - that's its not an accurate comparison.   IMO it tends to downplay the seriousness and evil of child abuse when it's lumped together with something very different.  

Taking once piece of one sentence of my post out of contest isn't accurate either. 

Its totally similar to the Sandusky situation. At least on the surface. Hopkins is accused of similar misconduct and grooming his victims though YEA and The Cadets much like Sandusky located and groomed his victims through the Second Mile.  How anyone cannot see that is a mystery to me. I realize that people may not want to associate the Sandusky scandal with Hopkinsgate but the similarities CANNOT be ignored and won't be on the average bear.  

In all, nine women have told the Inquirer and Daily News they were sexually harassed or abused by Hopkins, the longtime director of the Allentown-based Cadets. Their stories span from 1980 to as recently as a few years ago and include accusations of lewd comments, groping, and rape. The women ranged in age from 16 to 37 at the time of the alleged incidents.

The Penn State child sex abuse scandal started with Jerry Sandusky, an assistant American football coach for the Penn State Nittany Lions, engaging in sexual abuse of children over a period of at least 15 years. Sandusky had located and groomed victims through his charity organization, The Second Mile. The scandal broke in early November 2011 when Sandusky was indicted on 52 counts of child molestation. Although Sandusky's abuse may have begun in the 1970s, he was charged with abuse that occurred between 1994 and 2009.[1] Additionally, three Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) school officials (including school president Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley) were charged with perjury, obstruction of justice, failure to report suspected child abuse, and related charges.[2] Shortly after the scandal broke, Spanier resigned. The Penn State Board of Trustees terminated the contracts of Curley and of the longtime head football coach, Joe Paterno.

• Like 1

Just now, barigirl78 said:

Logistical question:

Me, I need a new job!

But in all seriousness, this is a good question. This could be a really great opportunity for someone, also could be a great opportunity for the corps to experience a shift in how it does things. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Everyone needs to be supportive of the members.  This cannot be easy for them.  

I think that involuntarily being put in a difficult situation and undergoing organizational turmoil can't be easy. 

However, from a few twitter posts I've seen, their response has been quite easy - "George Hopkins is not a Cadet."

• Like 4

Just now, camel lips said:

Its totally similar to the Sandusky situation. At least on the surface. Hopkins is accused of similar misconduct and grooming his victims though YEA and The Cadets much like Sandusky located and groomed his victims through the Second Mile.  How anyone cannot see that is a mystery to me. I realize that people may not want to associate the Sandusky scandal with Hopkinsgate but the similarities CANNOT be ignored and won't be on the average bear.  

In all, nine women have told the Inquirer and Daily News they were sexually harassed or abused by Hopkins, the longtime director of the Allentown-based Cadets. Their stories span from 1980 to as recently as a few years ago and include accusations of lewd comments, groping, and rape. The women ranged in age from 16 to 37 at the time of the alleged incidents.

The Penn State child sex abuse scandal started with Jerry Sandusky, an assistant American football coach for the Penn State Nittany Lions, engaging in sexual abuse of children over a period of at least 15 years. Sandusky had located and groomed victims through his charity organization, The Second Mile. The scandal broke in early November 2011 when Sandusky was indicted on 52 counts of child molestation. Although Sandusky's abuse may have begun in the 1970s, he was charged with abuse that occurred between 1994 and 2009.[1] Additionally, three Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) school officials (including school president Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley) were charged with perjury, obstruction of justice, failure to report suspected child abuse, and related charges.[2] Shortly after the scandal broke, Spanier resigned. The Penn State Board of Trustees terminated the contracts of Curley and of the longtime head football coach, Joe Paterno.

I think the biggest elephant in the room will be determining WHO KNEW and WHEN did they know it. DCI message today was clear about that. 

• Like 2

Just now, kdaddy said:

I think that involuntarily being put in a difficult situation and undergoing organizational turmoil can't be easy. 

However, from a few twitter posts I've seen, their response has been quite easy - "George Hopkins is not a Cadet."

Crossmen can't be very happy either, then.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Logistical question:

Tom Aungst 

• Like 3