The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

38 minutes ago, ohwiseone said:

I agree, and I totally understand from the Fan aspect. 

I hope the fans don’t treat the corps any different, it’s hard to know, considering this is really uncharted territory. 

The current MM's of the Cadets ( nor their parents ) will receive any negativity from fans from this, imo. ( nor should they ) Drum Corps fans are a discerning and an intelligent lot on the whole. They realize that most of the current Parents/ MM's were probably in the dark on all this, and made decisions accordingly. The fact this was not handled more quickly, puts these Cadets MM's/ parents in a tough spot, as theres an important camp coming up, and these MM's/ Parents are in a decision making mode not of their doing, nor something they want/ need to go through. The timing of this now could not be more worse, as CadetsMM's/ Parents did not buy into any of this when they signed up and earned a spot for 2018 at auditions. I have sympathy for any in the Cadets that were not aware this. I have little sympathy for GH or YEA, as this apparently went on for decades there, and its hard to believe that everryone on the YEA Board was completely oblivious to this. But... who knows. This is such sad news for an organization that has had so many wonderful and great people come thru their ranks... including these brave women.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Ok... a tad dramatic, but hey - we all react in our own ways I guess

Personally I think if the organization fires him and revamps/replaces the BOD they will be flooded with a return of fans/donors/volunteers etc that Hopkins drove off over the years. He burned a LOT of bridges

A fresh face for the Cadets is exactly what the organization needs (even before this unacceptable situation)

I'm guessing he's fired and the PTB want to have a plan in place of who takes over prior to an announcement. There is zero chance IMO he remains as director of the corps or involved with YEA. That ship has sailed.

Shouldn’t had gone this far. Perhaps the pictures of his car being the only one still  in the garage at night scared the BOD’s and/or some potential candidates for the position off. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Don’t get me wrong, I fully appreciate what the membership has done over those 35 years. I’m just thinking in terms of the driving force behind virtually all of those show designs.

None of the good ideas where his. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Ok... a tad dramatic, but hey - we all react in our own ways I guess

Personally I think if the organization fires him and revamps/replaces the BOD they will be flooded with a return of fans/donors/volunteers etc that Hopkins drove off over the years. He burned a LOT of bridges

A fresh face for the Cadets is exactly what the organization needs (even before this unacceptable situation)

I'm guessing he's fired and the PTB want to have a plan in place of who takes over prior to an announcement. There is zero chance IMO he remains as director of the corps or involved with YEA. That ship has sailed.

Mr. Dixon and I haven't agreed on anything for years.  YEARS.

But, I agree 100% with what he's posted here.  There will be tears and there will be struggles in the near term, but The Cadets severing themselves from that man (I refuse to say his name at this point) might be just what the Cadets need.  If the Cadets say "We've fired <insert name here> and asked certain members of the BoD to resign, and we need your help to insure the corps survival." then the alum that want to help now that he's gone will come out.  The Cadets are worth all efforts to save.

• Like 4

Another thought that I've had all day... Is anybody else a little surprised that the Philadelphia Inquirer would run a story about a drum corps director in Allentown, PA? I can hear readers now: "drum corps? what is that? what do you mean he's a god? drum corps is your religion?" (and some of the comments at the bottom of the story reflect this)

It's a terrible story, and (if true) the guy deserves to be shamed in every venue. And women who experience this sort of thing should have a means to tell their story.

I'm not trying to diminish the magnitude of the story, but I would think the Cadets would be a small organization for such a large newspaper to profile so extensively. 

Just now, kdaddy said:

I'm not trying to diminish the magnitude of the story, but I would think the Cadets would be a small organization for such a large newspaper to profile so extensively. 

Allentown is pretty close to Philly...YEA is a nonprofit...plus a lot of their readership probably lives in schools where USBands is active

• Like 1

Come DATR time, I'll be cheering for the Cadets...almost as much as I'll be cheering for BK.  Heck, maybe I'll even buy something from their souvie shop.

GH and his personal problems are NOT the Cadets!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeM said:

Mr. Dixon and I haven't agreed on anything for years.  YEARS.

But, I agree 100% with what he's posted here.  There will be tears and there will be struggles in the near term, but The Cadets severing themselves from that man (I refuse to say his name at this point) might be just what the Cadets need.  If the Cadets say "We've fired <insert name here> and asked certain members of the BoD to resign, and we need your help to insure the corps survival." then the alum that want to help now that he's gone will come out.  The Cadets are worth all efforts to save.

Creative destruction is painful, except for the product that comes out the other end.

But I'm still heartbroken that this venerable org is threatened with destruction because of one person's personal failings.

It's the worst kind of tragedy, IMO.  So much to love, lost.

(And then I think about the G7...Grrrr)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

this not only has happened in the Cadets. So if it has happened within other organizations, DCI may very well be in trouble.

It sucks people can't keep their freaking hands to themselves. 

We'll cast these individuals off as the pariahs they truly are--no matter who it is.

The activity isn't going anywhere.

• Like 1