The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when I see either corps, as they enter the field, I will stand and cheer the kids on. 

"Now entering the field  ... under the direction of Tom Aungst ... THE CADETS!"

I have a feeling that middle portion will get a lot of fans to their feet this season.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

rPoint taken.  Just caught up in the heat of all this I suppose.  

Oh I hear ya. It's very easy with a hot button issue and very legit. Your point of beyond can be so true but even further than you might think

Edited by GUARDLING

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hope there is a lot of restructuring.  No one person should have that kind of power without having to answer to anyone.  A quote comes to mind:  

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority, still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority.

That statement by Lord Acton is actually relatively modern, dating only to 1887. The Anglo-Saxons had a different thought: "Man does as he is when he may do as he wishes", which is to say: power reveals what you are. It works out to much the same thing in the end, though.

• Like 3

“There is no clear avenue for a grievance,” said the woman who worked at the office in recent years. “Any path, George controlled.”

This is pretty much the worst possible and most irresponsible manner in which to build any organization, and the Cadets BOD did this knowingly, intentionally and willingly.

For as long as any of us have followed drum corps—whether we liked or disliked Hopkins—we all knew that the organization had built a Jenga tower with George as the bottom-most piece. Regardless of what you think of Hopkins’ talents or leadership skills, this was and is an inexcusable breach of responsibility.

The Cadets are one of the most important youth arts organizations in the world. Now we are all forced to face the worst possible scenario, solely because the YEA board did not have the guts to do their job for decades. The Cadets should NEVER have been allowed to be put in such a vulnerable position!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah I gotta skip the Sally Jesse Raphael show. 

I thought it was Ira Glass.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I have a feeling that middle portion will get a lot of fans to their feet this season.

good choice he can get them through this with minimal scares

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

“There is no clear avenue for a grievance,” said the woman who worked at the office in recent years. “Any path, George controlled.”

This is pretty much the worst possible and most irresponsible manner in which to build any organization, and the Cadets BOD did this knowingly, intentionally and willingly.

For as long as any of us have followed drum corps—whether we liked or disliked Hopkins—we all knew that the organization had built a Jenga tower with George as the bottom-most piece. Regardless of what you think of Hopkins’ talents or leadership skills, this was and is an inexcusable breach of responsibility.

The Cadets are one of the most important youth arts organizations in the world. Now we are all forced to face the worst possible scenario, solely because the YEA board did not have the guts to do their job for decades. The Cadets should NEVER have been allowed to be put in such a vulnerable position!

Well when you put Mr. Peabody in charge.  Hired from an ad. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eleran said:

YYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE

Worst response ever. Victim blaming. Tone deaf. Is there no one there with a clue??  After this horrid response the only choice is for the whole BOD to go. My goodness I didn’t realize there could be a whole group of people so incredibly stupid. Come on YEA do better. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1