The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The fact that it often takes victims so long to come forward, because this kind of misbehavior makes victims feel like they rather than the offender have done something wrong, actually means that statutes of limitation should be longer.

And here's another angle:  How many people feel just the same about their life-decisions as they did when they made them?  People change.  What seemed like a little thing when you're 19 can become something your don't want YOUR kids, or others, to do, endure, or withstand.

And here's another viewpoint:  You don't need to be raped to teach your kids that rape is wrong, and you don't need to destroy a person based on indiscretion from decades ago to teach your kids that rape is wrong, either.

Both of these opinions on the subject have been told to me by others in the last 12 hours.  I'm not sure I've processed them well enough yet, but they both seem have to stuck in my cranium overnight.

Breaking...

https://www.yamaha.com/marchingmusic/cadets/2018/yamaha-stands-with-the-cadets

YAMAHA STANDS WITH THE CADETS, VOWS SUPPORT DURING TRANSITION

--"...sending reps to this weekend's camp with support..."

(Fake News.  Fake link. A parody.  I made it all up because I am Schultz.  But you have to admit, it would be...)

A Great Headline In a Show of Support and Unanimity Behind the Marching Members!

I'm just not buying that it's a fait-accompli that support is going to bail.  And, if the accused is gone, and there are lots of supervision, transparency, and open dialog along with a fabulous distractingly-productive camp, this could just as easily turn out to be the cathartic cleansing that leads to much greater things, if the kids who DO show up do stay and do show that there are new leaders and better things coming - without the fear.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Icer said:

I'm curious - exactly what is it that you are suggesting the current board should have done?  

Suspend him while cooperating with an independent investigation. I'm not sure why that is complicated

• Like 6

9 hours ago, BDAMom said:

Yes, I have thoughts. What is it exactly that you are saying? That YEA is so culpable that they are incompetent and therefore should pull out of touring and being active? And why can’t you run a tour and recover? Cut out the cancer and move on to a full, productive life. Offer help to the victims. Take responsibility even if you aren’t technically the bad actor. Is this horrible? Yes. But the choice is to rise above or sink below. I’m not actually so familiar with YEA but I’m guessing they will try rise. You can rise without having to turn to ashes first. 

What I'm saying is this - YEA takes this summer to get its act together, without having to worry about the logistics of a tour.  By getting its act together I mean cleaning house - restructuring the BoD.  Writing policies to prevent this from happening again.  Working to get things back so that YEA can be trusted by the community at large, because, like it or not, this whole thing shatters the trust with the community.  Yes, doing this would hurt.  A lot.  But you mention cutting out the cancer.  After the cancer is cut out, there needs to be recovery.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not AT ALL saying this has to happen.  I was just throwing something out there. I've seen good arguments on both sides of this which hold weight. If any organization COULD pull off touring while recovering from all this negativity, its the Cadets.  They would absolute be that "Yeah? Watch this" corps to pull off a top 5 (or higher) placing while the angst swirls around them.

I'm not sure there's a right answer to all this.  But hey, at least we're having civil discussions about it.

• Like 2

Edited by mingusmonk
because ... jokes I guess?

Just now, mingusmonk said:

:blink:

Garfield made it up.  Notes as much in the fine print.

9 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

That's a terrible statement.  The way I read it, YEA is trying to play that they're a victim.  Bad move.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, garfield said:

you don't need to destroy a person based on indiscretion from decades ago to teach your kids that rape is wrong, either.

In the broadest sense, I don't think I disagree. I think those who are truly apologetic about a transgression can seek forgiveness and be forgiven by the victim (assuming the victim doesn't want to pursue criminal charges). I think the offender can work to right the wrong, and perhaps it could be righted in the eyes and heart of the victim. 

However, in this specific case, it's true that George Hopkins isn't the same person he was when he was 23 (when the timing of the first accusation occurred). He indeed changed - he got worse. He kept repeating bad behavior. He hurt more women. The theory above, while it has some merit, doesn't apply here. 

• Like 6

Does a new director mean that the Cadets will lead with their left foot going forward???  :tongue:

*ducks and runs*

(Trying to inject a little humor here, please don't flame)

Edited by MikeM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3