The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

38 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

In the broadest sense, I don't think I disagree. I think those who are truly apologetic about a transgression can seek forgiveness and be forgiven by the victim (assuming the victim doesn't want to pursue criminal charges). I think the offender can work to right the wrong, and perhaps it could be righted in the eyes and heart of the victim. 

However, in this specific case, it's true that George Hopkins isn't the same person he was when he was 23 (when the timing of the first accusation occurred). He indeed changed - he got worse. He kept repeating bad behavior. He hurt more women. The theory above, while it has some merit, doesn't apply here. 

So very well presented here.

Nicely done.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, MikeM said:

Does a new director mean that the Cadets will lead with their left foot going forward???  :tongue:

*ducks and runs*

(Trying to inject a little humor here, please don't flame)

Nicely timed.

But, IMO, that's an easy tradition that separates them from all, yes ALL, others.  Seems like low-hanging fruit to keep it.

48 minutes ago, MikeM said:

That's a terrible statement.  The way I read it, YEA is trying to play that they're a victim.  Bad move.

I agree. To be fair, though, YEA actually is a victim in all of this as well.

3 minutes ago, critter said:

I agree. To be fair, though, YEA actually is a victim in all of this as well.

Sorry, but YEA was clearly taking advantage of what everyone knew was a very precarious leadership scenario. They could have stepped in and brought accountability to the organization and did not. That is despite almost countless incidents of unprofessionalism and allegations of impropriety. There are victims in this situation, and YEA is only a victim of their own incompetence.

• Like 1

I think people need to mindful that this behaviour has been endemic in many corps over many years, and as likely had happened at YEA, it’s been quietly swept under the carpet (until now....)

Think about other corps that had long term staff quietly disappear. It’s ironic that a number of corps are quickly publishing their safeguarding policies- as if to say “this would never happen to us”- except it probably has!!

If there is anything good to come out of this- it will be all corps cleaning house 

Edited by DCI-86

No one in their right mind would take over Hopkin's role (or the role of anyone with such total control in any organization ) with YEA without having a complete financial audit completed by an independent CPA firm. It sounds like the YEA Board was a rubber stamp and protector for Hopkins and if he was corrupt regarding his kids, he may be corrupt in other areas, too. I AM NOT ACCUSING FINANCIAL MISDEEDS...I'm just lending advice.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BigW said:

It's happened before. And it will always make me deeply sad to think about it.

It is the condition of humans. We are capable of great compassion and great evil.

Well led organizations understand this, and protect themselves from themselves. Wise leaders realize they are almost destined for personal failures that will undermine their life and business.

A church I attend has a board of elders, and a team teaching approach, where you never know who will step on stage on any morning. At no time was it possible for one person to fail and bring down the entire church. And it happened, when their main founding teaching pastor had an affair. The church went on to become one of the largest and most capable ministries in my area. 

Billy Graham never traveled alone and always had another man enter every hotel room before he did—he knew he was capable of failure, so he planned for it.

We have all been victim of narcissistic leaders. But to create an organization that enabled and even required Hopkins to be so exposed morally is absolutely unforgivable, and the YEA board should all step down. They may be invited back, but at this point the organization has to become bigger than it’s clearly failed leadership.

• Like 2

Well that didn't take long:

Philly.com:  http://www.philly.com/philly/news/cadets-drum-bugle-corps-george-hopkins-resigns-sexual-abuse-harassment-allentown-pennsylvania-20180406.html

The Morning Call (Allentown local, it's the lead story on their webpage): http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-allentown-cadets-director-george-hopkins-resigns20180406-story.html

Lehigh Valley Live:  http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2018/04/allentown_drum_corps_director_g.html

I don't think this is the publicity anyone wanted for Drum Corps. :/

Edited by MikeM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MikeM said:

That's a terrible statement.  The way I read it, YEA is trying to play that they're a victim.  Bad move.

When I read it, my jaw dropped. I know these situations can be paralyzing for a board, and if you don’t know how to handle it, it’s difficult. However, that’s when you reach out. DCI could have offered resources. Perhaps the victims would not talk to YEA’s investigators or board with the then director on board. I bet they would have talked to an independent investigator caked by DCI.  Where nearly everyone who marches with BOA is a minor and WGI has a good number of minors, they have to have dealt with these issues, and the policies that protect minors are almost identical to those that protect adults from sexual harassment and sexual violence. Other corps have board members who would have offered assistance knowing a similar situation could happen with them. This is not a competitive issue where it’s each corps for itself, this is an issue that has hurt many and could have serious implications for the entire drum corps community.

It’s time to expose the ugly underbelly of DCI. I’m sorry to say that harassment, molestation, and intimidation exist in drum corps. It’s a “boys will be boys” mentality. I personally know of people who asked for relief from the hazing and slut-shaming...only to be told, “This is drum corps.”  

...and this was in a TOC corps. 

• Like 3