The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

On another topic, is the HoF induction a permanent thing? We recall GH was inducted into the DCI HoF in 1997. Personally, I think he should be kicked out for this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

On another topic, is the HoF induction a permanent thing? We recall GH was inducted into the DCI HoF in 1997. Personally, I think he should be kicked out for this.

He probably should. But because his inclusion in the Hall of Fame doesn't directly impact anyone's well being, I think there's no urgency on that point.

46 minutes ago, garfield said:

Me, personally?  As a board member? 

I think that part of the BoD's responsibility is to assure the continuation of the organization for the benefit of the members.  I can see that Cadets' BoD members could have surmised that, in the absence of a specific accusation upon which to make a rebuttal statement or justify a removal , their obligation was to the smooth continuity of the (what they perceived as) positive impact on their MM's.

I, personally, would have relied on legal counsel and my own conscience, but I can't say at the moment that I would have automatically removed Hop prior to having something identifiable on which to charge him or restrict him.

In the absence of more detail regarding to what extent the BoD had been informed.

Thanks for the response. While I disagree--I think the first priority should have to have separated Hopkins from all members--I do appreciate the thoughtfulness of your reply.

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

He probably should. But because his inclusion in the Hall of Fame doesn't directly impact anyone's well being, I think there's no urgency on that point.

Makes sense.

After reading this for two days 

This I believe ... I need another beer ! 

• Haha 1

There have been a number of references to how standards of conduct have changed over time. While what Hopkins has been accused of was never permissible, in my opinion, the question of evolving mores is an important one to grapple with in this discussion. To that end, I found this new essay by Molly Ringwald fascinating; in it, she is taken aback re-watching the classic John Hughes films she made in the 1980s, as she realizes that what they portrayed as playful behavior might now, quite rightly, be seen as criminal. Well worth your time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, camel lips said:

After reading this for two days 

This I believe ... I need another beer ! 

Boo hiss.

Line 'em up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

if all allegations become total truth after a process has happened I'm sure this would happen.

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Strange that they would ignore that elephant in the room...but that’s just me, I guess. 

Exactly.  

What did DCI know & when did they know it?

I am pretty sure the journalists who wrote the story are monitoring this thread (article from today mentions 'DC social media sites').  They are smelling "Pulitzer"

GH & YEA could just be the beginning.

Bad news NEVER gets better with age.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Exactly.  

What did DCI know & when did they know it?

I am pretty sure the journalists who wrote the story are monitoring this thread (article from today mentions 'DC social media sites').  They are smelling "Pulitzer"

GH & YEA could just be the beginning.

Bad news NEVER gets better with age.

No, it never does.  Now that this is national with the AP picking up the story, if anyone was hoping this would quickly fade away...it won’t.  

• Like 3