The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, jmc5682 said:

I know that BD and SCV take sexual harassment and instructor student relations very seriously.  I know instances of instructors/techs who have been fired for inappropriate relations.  The instructors or techs in these instances were not engaged with anyone underage, but that did not matter.  The instances I am aware of happened over twenty years ago, but even then there was a full investigation in each case and the instructors or techs were fired.  If someone on staff is even leering at a student they can be fired.  

No place is immune to this sort of thing nor does not have to deal with it from 1 degree to another. We are a very inbreed activity and we all interact with another. Often staff move around a bit, what skeletons do they move on with ?. What do they know of another?  Yes, you are right some can be more diligent than another BUT unfortunately, we have also seen  ( and it's sick or nieve  ) depending on one's contributions or talent some turn a blind eye. I think even outside of our activity we can see this.

I am not saying people purposely put kids in danger BUT sometimes they could think it was a 1-time thing or under control..and often that's a falsehood.

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I think the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain, Jaffo.

But I've never been to Spain.

But I kinda like the Music.

OMG! OMG! If you're saying what I think you're trying to say, no. In drum corps? No.

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Indy Star is who did the first Larry Nasser investigation (USA Gymnastics).  Their reporters understand the issues very well.

I kind-of said this back then... to several people... it was too close to not expect them to pick it up.  I'm also not surprised they didn't break it, either.

26 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

No, the stuff before the public, published allegations.

Where do you think Hopkins came from?

These kinds of monsters are made - not born.

Duh-Duh-Duuhhhhhhh....

Shall I get my tin-foil hat for this?  Hold while I align it...

Come on.  You're new here.  Read a while.  This ain't FB DCP.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

So, it is a thought crime to question the culpability of DCI?

No.

That being said... they're not an overarching directorate that dictates to the members. The members dictate to it. Part of the reason it was created was so that the membership wasn't dictated to from the top anymore. Right now, sit and wait until more information and facts are discovered. This can take a long, long time- proper investigations that aren't half-witted or bungled just aren't immediate and quick, which may not satisfy people out for heads on pikes and blood. But they do bring out the facts, and usually also bring the best justice possible for everyone.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

She won’t last long.  She’s on a scorched earth mission. 

She whose name shall never be mentioned is back! Good lord save us. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

No place is immune to this sort of thing

Sex crimes perpetrated by an individual with organization authority spanning decades unreported and unresponded to is kinda, sorta unusual, you have to admit. 

Why Garfield?

Why drum corps?

13 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Ball game. They'll know how to proceed on the human dimension. Thankfully, the tax returns are all online these days which gives reporters a head start on financial aspects that may be of interest in parsing systemic abuses.

Wait, I have a direct line to Clive Cussler <insert your favorite adventure mystery writer>.

Hold while I get him on the line so you can weave this tale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Duh-Duh-Duuhhhhhhh....

Shall I get my tin-foil hat for this?  Hold while I align it...

Come on.  You're new here.  Read a while.  This ain't FB DCP.

Hold on to that tin-foil hat because it might be a bumpy ride 

• Haha 2