The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Just now, garfield said:

Would you please explain the logic of this sentence?  If something is unreported, how can it be responded to?

You're blaming these victims for not coming forward.  Why?

Yes, if it is observed by a participant who chose not to report it.

Not at all. I am observing they didn't feel comfortable grabbing the nearest guy, member, alum, instructor, cop or peanut vendor and telling him she was harmed and he needs to put his fist through the perpetrator's face. 

And this situation pertained for decades.

What does that tell you? About Garfield? About drum corps?

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Am I the only one who, seeing the title of the blog, & with Jesus Christ Superstar (thx NBC) on the brain thought  "What then to do about this Georgie Hop-i-kins, YEA Di-rec-tor, a-ccu-sed rapist?...."

nope! :sigh:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Sex crimes perpetrated by an individual with organization authority spanning decades unreported and unresponded to is kinda, sorta unusual, you have to admit. 

Why Garfield?

Why drum corps?

Your statement cannot be more incorrect. Predators use their power to silence,  and usually have admirers, and very often are at the helm for years. Recently James Levine of the Metropolitan Opera was fired. He has organizational power spanning decades. Jerry Sandusky comes to mind as well. In cases of school leaders, clergy people, scout leaders, those who are predators are often loved and respected. Prior to these stories being released, if I heard rumors of this nature involving GH, I probably would not have believed them or at least may have questioned them because he is such a lightning rod in the activity. Having actual allegations changes everything.

Why Garfield? Why drum corps? Why schools, why churches, why work places, why at bars and night clubs? Why in the home? Why at anytime in any place?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Gosh, thank you. But there is no story, just resources that are much more easily recruitable than 20 years ago:

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/search?utf8=✓&q=public+990&state[id]=PA&ntee[id]=1

Non-profit forms 990 are just available like never before. Any librarian or reporter know that.

Uhh, yea.  Right.

I'll need to bone up on those 990 forms you reference.  Thanks.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Further, if you listen carefully, you'll hear the ladies say that it was their love for the corps that prevented them - largely - from coming forward.  They didn't want to punish the corps; you have to see the humanity of that and not punish those girls for not coming forward back then.

Thank you for getting that part.

The next thing is- there's a lot of weight on victims. Many think it's just them, they don't know there are others. It becomes a game of your word versus the person in authority. There are those who will say "(The person in question) would never do that, how dare you try and impugn them!" Many people who do this tell their victims that they will never be believed by others because of their power, fame or charisma. It's a common method of silencing them. Predatory behavior takes advantage of all of this. It's diabolical, and I think some people need to be more understanding of this whole process these people use against their victims. This isn't simple, not as cut and dried as we wish it was for those who are abused and harassed.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Would you please explain the logic of this sentence?  If something is unreported, how can it be responded to?

You're blaming these victims for not coming forward.  Why?

I would refrain from trying to reason with those whom are prevented from having any normal perception. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Yes, if it is observed by a participant who chose not to report it.

Not at all. I am observing they didn't feel comfortable grabbing the nearest guy, member, alum, instructor, cop or peanut vendor and telling him she was harmed and he needs to put his fist through the perpetrator's face. 

And this situation pertained for decades.

What does that tell you? About Garfield? About drum corps?

So...  this is... a friend of the guard girl who was present?  Or is this another staff member who was present and didn't say anything?

Again I ask: Why are you trying to blame these girls for not coming forward?

Or their "witnesses"?  Why are you blaming them instead of the perpetrator of the abuse?

You're credibility is not bolstered by your contention.  You're quickly becoming incendiary.  The mods like incendiary.

• Thanks 5