The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Your statement cannot be more incorrect. Predators use their power to silence,  and usually have admirers, and very often are at the helm for years. Recently James Levine of the Metropolitan Opera was fired. He has organizational power spanning decades. Jerry Sandusky comes to mind as well. In cases of school leaders, clergy people, scout leaders, those who are predators are often loved and respected. Prior to these stories being released, if I heard rumors of this nature involving GH, I probably would not have believed them or at least may have questioned them because he is such a lightning rod in the activity. Having actual allegations changes everything.

Why Garfield? Why drum corps? Why schools, why churches, why work places, why at bars and night clubs? Why in the home? Why at anytime in any place?

Mr. K, you are 110% correct. We all want to believe justice can be swift and stem the tides of perfidy and it blinds us to truths like these sometimes. 

Most all of these stories, I can't read. I see the headline and glance at the lead and forget them. 

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

Thank you for getting that part.

The next thing is- there's a lot of weight on victims. Many think it's just them, they don't know there are others. It becomes a game of your word versus the person in authority. There are those who will say "(The person in question) would never do that, how dare you try and impugn them!" Many people who do this tell their victims that they will never be believed by others because of their power, fame or charisma. It's a common method of silencing them. Predatory behavior takes advantage of all of this. It's diabolical, and I think some people need to be more understanding of this whole process these people use against their victims. This isn't simple, not as cut and dried as we wish it was for those who are abused and harassed.

I just saw some subsequent report that these women didn't know each other existed.

An unfortunate and unintended consequence of a long-term "dictator" ED.

9 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

$175,850  Is that GH salary or is that all "executive compensation" for Yea!?

Hmm...maybe....   check....    the footnotes...  

Edit:  Egghh.  Amateurs.  LOL  

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

So...  this is... a friend of the guard girl who was present?  Or is this another staff member who was present and didn't say anything?

Again I ask: Why are you trying to blame these girls for not coming forward?

Or their "witnesses"?  Why are you blaming them instead of the perpetrator of the abuse?

You're credibility is not bolstered by your contention.  You're quickly becoming incendiary.  The mods like incendiary.

Present or heard and didn't say anything.

The witnesses/victims are heroes. 

No blame. Just the sense that the place was so sideways victims felt *they* would be blamed - for anything - for reporting the abuse.

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I just saw some subsequent report that these women didn't know each other existed.

An unfortunate and unintended consequence of a long-term "dictator" ED.

"Divide and conquer" is a common strategy for Predators. Makes me want to take my ash quarterstaff to some of 'em.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GeorgiaGirl said:

Haven't logged in here in many years, and probably won't be back again. Make no mistake; this is an exponentially bigger public relations nightmare than gymnastics, Penn State, or that Schneider guy at Nickelodeon.

One thought: It would be very wise for someone to check the social media accounts of a number of people, and download/archive everything, because those will very likely be scrubbed soon.

I guess we're supposed to look through your posting history, figure out which corps you might have private knowledge of, and quickly seek out the social media accounts of people associated with those corps? In other words: if you know something, why not say something? If not to us, then to the authorities of to a reporter like the one at the Inquirer?

• Haha 1

I’m waiting SOMEONE to bring up EBBUBery. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Present or heard and didn't say anything.

The witnesses/victims are heroes. 

No blame. Just the sense that the place was so sideways victims felt *they* would be blamed - for anything - for reporting the abuse.

That's NOT what they feared!

I'll say it again: They did not want to punish the corps.

They told FRIENDS.  Friends who, for even societal reasons, didn't "tell" because they were friends.

You need to put yourself in the times as well as their shoes.

They didn't do anything wrong - they are not to blame.

• Like 1