The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You had to be there. 

I'm still working on jaffo's  " The Tides of Perfidy " analogy in all this at the moment...but that might take awhile, you know what I'm sayin' ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

I wonder how that compares with other world-class corps director salaries?  Related to this particular thread, I wonder if he will be asked to repay any of this.  Mainly, I was trying to get a sense of what type of money might be there for someone suing him or Yea! to go after.

Well, currently, I'm working on that.

But you might look back at the 990's thread (gosh, I've lost the thread.  Can someone find it?) from a few years ago.

I think you'll find that, for the size of the organization and based upon HOW his board compensated him, it was not particularly out of line.

Again, a refresh of those numbers is due (and that $175m number does sound higher than I recall...), but I don't think there's a case to claim he's overpaid in the non-profit world, even if you think he is in the marching music world.

Your mileage may vary.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm truly interested in his/her opinion. 

Meh.   You've got more stomach for this than I do, then.   I think I'll retreat to the normal Cadets thread and leave this for the vultures to pick over.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Your statement cannot be more incorrect. Predators use their power to silence,  and usually have admirers, and very often are at the helm for years. Recently James Levine of the Metropolitan Opera was fired. He has organizational power spanning decades. Jerry Sandusky comes to mind as well. In cases of school leaders, clergy people, scout leaders, those who are predators are often loved and respected. Prior to these stories being released, if I heard rumors of this nature involving GH, I probably would not have believed them or at least may have questioned them because he is such a lightning rod in the activity. Having actual allegations changes everything.

Why Garfield? Why drum corps? Why schools, why churches, why work places, why at bars and night clubs? Why in the home? Why at anytime in any place?

Bingo! This is not about drumcorps specifically. There are charasmatic people who ascend to positions of  power and abuse that power. That's the issue.  The new poster just doesn't seem to get the real problem. She's just trying the whole scortched earth schtick.

This issue transcends one activity. This crap happens everywhere 

...and I want to direct this to that new poster,: to not acknowledge that this stuff also happens to males too is simply offensive and deliberately insulting. Your reaction to that issue undermines your whole position here.

Edited by jjeffeory
Autocorrect autocorrected a word incorrectly

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The corps' 990 forms have in fact been the subject of much discussion on these very forums, but as someone who has to work on a 990 each year, I know that they don't actually tell you all that much about the details.

Right, but they can provide information required to connect events or persons/organizations and forge a coherent narrative. Even by naming a consulting company or group, the reference can lead to associations with principals not explicitly named on the 990 but available in sec.state/corporations archives.

10 minutes ago, JMS1995 said:

I wonder how that compares with other world-class corps director salaries?  Related to this particular thread, I wonder if he will be asked to repay any of this.  Mainly, I was trying to get a sense of what type of money might be there for someone suing him or Yea! to go after.

Then, if this is your question, you need a lesson in understanding the capital structure of a non-profit.

NEBrigand is a credible source to help you understand his salary in context, and also help you identify which line will show assets to 'go after'.

23 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Present or heard and didn't say anything.

The witnesses/victims are heroes. 

No blame. Just the sense that the place was so sideways victims felt *they* would be blamed - for anything - for reporting the abuse.

Do you not understand that victims almost always feel like they're going to be blamed? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Right, but they can provide information required to connect events or persons/organizations and forge a coherent narrative. Even by naming a consulting company or group, the reference can lead to associations with principals not explicitly named on the 990 but available in sec.state/corporations archives.

You're right that there's a chance that new examination of the 990s might uncover something that reporters could follow up, but I still think it's a long shot. There are probably more profitable avenues for journalists to pursue. The other filings you mention are even less likely to help.

What I suggested about 100 pages ago is that YEA's new leaders needs to hire an accounting firm to conduct a full audit of the past several years' financial records to look for anything untoward. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

OooKayy, that's pretty much it for me.  Burgers and fries waiting.

Thanks all for the civil conversation on a very difficult subject.

Tomorrow will be tough, I think...

• Thanks 1