The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

9 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Do you not understand that victims almost always feel like they're going to be blamed? 

Yes and I hate it. Drum corps is not supposed to be like normal life and everyone is cynical and why trust or ask for help, the whole world sucks, give up and accept rape as normal, etc.

Everyone here goes on and on and on about the unique experience and blah blah blah but when nudge comes to rape it's just like everything else, even sports.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The activity is about to reap what GH hath sown.

I really hope this hasn't been pervasive throughout the activity. But I can't be naïve. If this happens in Hollywood, sports, military, government, the church, schools, etc., then it's sad to say that it more than likely has taken place throughout the activity as well. I hope the victims can get the help they need and have the courage to speak their truth. I hope the perpetrators are found and dealt with swiftly. They've taken the "innocence" out of this activity for sure.

• Like 2

YES he was overpaid 

what kind of question is that?

he drove off talent, allegedly attacked and harassed members, minors and staff and he was a terrible administrator, plus the narcissistic qualities - geez. Hoptalk aka bloviating 

Without Zingali and a few others with actual talent early on... no one would even know his name imo 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Yes and I hate it. Drum corps is not supposed to be like normal life and everyone is cynical and why trust or ask for help, the whole world sucks, give up and accept rape as normal, etc.

Everyone here goes on and on and on about the unique experience and blah blah blah but when nudge comes to rape it's just like everything else, even sports.

It is a unique experience like all those other activities are unique, however, real life happens and drumcorps is just a subset of real life. So we need to address it and protect ALL involved. We need to have and implement best practices and training to everyone. If people are not sure what to do, they often do nothing. We need to support the victims and go after the predators. We don't need to throw away the baby with the bathwater.  That is incorrect logic. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, garfield said:

They told FRIENDS.  Friends who, for even societal reasons, didn't "tell" because they were friends.

*holds my hand up*

I was told in confidence. breaking that confidence would be unconscionable.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

She’s back.  EEK! 

The Burracle?

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Friends,

Don't think this is a one-off story.

Think something on the order of the Boston Globe pederast priest series.

Think stories across numbers of papers about any number of corps. 

Hopkins is just the Father Geoghan of this epic.

If DCI survives, it will end up with a complete changing of the guard and, hopefully, scores of twisted monsters behind bars.

Been saying that

• Like 2

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

On the other hand, I think it's possible that the widespread and well-known dislike of Hopkins could have protected him, because people might have brushed off hints of his real crimes as being just one more example of that apparently unfounded dislike.

Agreed. I also wonder if he was able to cut himself a golden parachute on the way out. Hence resignation vs terminated 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Agreed. I also wonder if he was able to cut himself a golden parachute on the way out. Hence resignation vs terminated 

He should have been termed 

• Like 2