The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Additional response from YEA:

https://yea.org/news/2005-healing-and-the-future

It reads in part:

"In the initial statement from the Board of Directors regarding the accusations brought forward against YEA’s former executive director, and their effort to explain YEA’s knowledge of the situation, we realize we did not do enough to acknowledge the tremendous hurt and pain of the victims, and for this we apologize."

Much better. I still think time's up for this Board, but this is a vast improvement over Thursday's statement.

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

what I meant to convey is that often people have been put in those positions and have stayed...for numerous reasons. There even have been a few on this site in these circumstances who had no intentions of leaving.

As I said, people do all sorts of foolish things, but point me to any statement in this thread from before Hopkins was removed that said, "I'm cool with my kid being there this weekend even if Hopkins is still there."

Hopkins was gone in twelve hours. If he were still there right now, denying the charges of nine different women, and you had a kid in Cadets, what would you do?

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

However one wants to look at it, the court of public opinion can litigate, defend, convict, commence with a trial, always be on the side of right. It can and has been more damning than actual law sometimes

Sometimes public opinion gets closer to the truth than legal determinations do, and sometimes it doesn't.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I said, people do all sorts of foolish things, but point me to any statement in this thread from before Hopkins was removed that said, "I'm cool with my kid being there this weekend even if Hopkins is still there."

Hopkins was gone in twelve hours. If he were still there right now, denying the charges of nine different women, and you had a kid in Cadets, what would you do?

noone said Im cool but chose to leave the discussion and were looking for support.

Do you think some there didn't know of allegations and other places and still supported their kid and corps? What about the staff, there and elsewhere, do you think no one ever knew anything?

If you are asking me directly what I would do. I don't know but this would be the wrong place or any public forum to put it out there, either way. There will always be someone challenging a personal choice and personal choices are just that personal. I also don't believe in the court of public opinion. I've seen it wrong often so IF it were me I would for sure form my own opinion then act on it.

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sometimes public opinion gets closer to the truth than legal determinations do, and sometimes it doesn't.

and sometimes it doesn't as you say..If only that were true our world today on a daily basis could look alot brighter

30 minutes ago, MisterA said:

Jeff, you start by saying "here's the problems with your post" and then say that, several of us on here know some of them. So how is that a problem with my post? I do not personally know them, or their stories. I don't know you personally to know that you know them. I do take into consideration the people, including you, that have mentioned on this board, that some of these women mentioned these things to other people decades ago. I only know an article that I read that looks bad. Very bad. But there were parts of the article that didn't add up. Nothing against the alleged victims, just things that were written that seemed to have an agenda. Again most of the questions I have regard more of the way the article was written than what these women had to say. I agree it seems highly suspicious that 9 different women all had similar experiences. But if I were on a jury, and the evidence provided was just the Inquirer article, and then the weird YEA post stating their side of it, I couldn't say 100% without a doubt is George guilty of everything. Even though I strongly dislike him, disagree with SO many decisions he has made over the last 10-12 years, and personally think he is an egocentric  horses caboose.

On the other part, I don't disagree that George has pretty much made himself the face of YEA. He is a dictator, and wanted total control. I agree and get that. Same thing with Cadets, he was definitely the face of Cadets. And I completely agree if something went wrong, he blamed others, and took credit for every success Cadets had. That being said, I do not agree that he WAS the Cadets, or WAS  YEA. To state that would completely discredit the thousands of young men and women that performed their butts off every year in all the organizations under that umbrella. George didn't win 10 championships, the kids on the field did. He may have tried to take the credit, and some of it he deserves for leading them, but like any good leader(which he clearly was not), he wanted the fame and glory for himself, instead of raving about the thousands of AMAZINGLY talented performers(and staff) he worked with over the years.

Someone is lying; either Hopkins or the women. When I watch their videos, I have a hard time thinking they’re lying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So that's six different people in this thread who have heard Hopkins-like stories about Jeff Fiedler.

I haven't. Maybe you six, and anyone else who's been told something about this, could all let DCI know?

If there's the least bit of truth to what you're suggesting, DCI is going to be asked what they knew and when.

old news for sure. As I said earlier just because issues don't hit the gossip pages of social media doesn't mean they weren't on the news pages, police reports etc etc. You are right about the who knew and when and I have said several times that scope can go far beyond a board, DCI, or any other part of the activity. How about other staff, in a specific corps or another, This whole thing can cut very deep and spread far beyond what many might think. I do believe women, men, victims need to be believed BUT also believe the word allegation. means just that. . With that said it is very hard in this case not to believe what has been said.

We tend to think our activity is immune to this, politics, world issues. That would be false, even here there is a rule not to bring politics into the forum YET we are kidding ourselves if we think so many things  don't affect us including who is in office, economy, social issues, etc etc

Edited by GUARDLING

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I said earlier today, the dislike for Hopkins is so widespread and well-known that it will protect him in some people's eyes. Thank you for proving my point.

Here's the thing. As in most such cases, this matter is very unlikely to ever see a courtroom. You're probably going to have to make up your mind about Hopkins's culpability based on not much more than one or two articles, which like all writing anywhere is not going to answer all your questions.

Hopkins is not on trial. You don't have to decide "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Just ask yourself: if you had a kid in Cadets or Cadets2, and this article came out, and Hopkins was still there, would you let your kid stay in the corps?

To be honest, if my kids were marching, I would have never had them join Cadets or Cadets 2(unless it was their ultimate dream corps, and then I would still try to talk them out of it)  even before all of this. While the Cadets had amazing talent, I had never been impressed with Hopkins at all. But if this article came out, and Hopkins was still there, and my child was marching there, I would definitely try to get them to leave the corps. I would probably pull my financing from them and if they decided to march anyway by raising their own money I would still do everything I could to convince them not to march there.

And again with the articles there is supposed to be another huge one tomorrow, so I am not looking forward to reading it, but am hoping it does clear up a couple of the questions I still have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

Does anyone really believe the members of the drum corps would in any way be worse off if DCI was disbanded?

What does that even mean?

• Like 7