The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

9 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

Just finished reading the article and many of the comments. I expect many on the Cadets staff will soon resign after finding other positions. Many Cadets members will leave, and DCI right now has their calculators out and may ban the Cadets from competition this year. Quite horrible news and very painful for those of us who have been part of the organization as members and then as alumni over the years. I respect the women for coming forward and sharing their pain while doing the right thing.

IMO it’s entirely too early in the discovery phase of these allegations to know for sure what the repercussions will be on the entire activity. Just don’t believe there is a quick fix to rid the activity of this behavior. Hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

Welcome to the Planet!

I doubt any of your expectations will come true.

Yep, very painful.

You may be right. But if I am a music educator for my career and I have a position with the Cadets for this summer - I am saving my reputation and looking for another gig. One other thing - DCI will levy a fine against the Cadets too. I doubt it will be small.

3 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

IMO it’s entirely too early in the discovery phase of these allegations to know for sure what the repercussions will be on the entire activity. Just don’t believe there is a quick fix to rid the activity of this behavior. Hope I’m wrong. 

You aren't

1 minute ago, rysa4 said:

You may be right. But if I am a music educator for my career and I have a position with the Cadets for this summer - I am saving my reputation and looking for another gig. One other thing - DCI will levy a fine against the Cadets too. I doubt it will be small.

That's some interesting "inside information" you got there.

What you'd do is revealed here.  Hard to say what existing staff will do.  "Looking for another gig" in April is pretty tough.

Sticking with a corps through a bad situation and helping it recover some of its glory doesn't look bad on a resume, either.

Don't be so sure and, if you are, please tell me if the stock market will end the day higher or lower on Monday.  How about next Thursday?  We can see quickly how shiny your crystal ball is, and if we should pay attention to your prognostications.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You marched Cadets, but don't sell your former Corps short. They need your support now perhaps more than ever.

My support has never been in question and will continue. But in no way does support equate to silence or defense of this type of behavior. I respect the court system and understand innocent until proven guilty. Harvey Weinstein hasn't been found guilty of anything and neither had Joe Paterno, but the outcomes already seen won't be dissimilar to this instance in my opinion. Why would they be? Except our activity involves children in the eyes of society.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

Just finished reading the article and many of the comments. I expect many on the Cadets staff will soon resign after finding other positions. Many Cadets members will leave, and DCI right now has their calculators out and may ban the Cadets from competition this year. Quite horrible news and very painful for those of us who have been part of the organization as members and then as alumni over the years. I respect the women for coming forward and sharing their pain while doing the right thing.

And I suspect none of those things will happen. Are you hoping or expecting? There seems to be a little bit of both in this  thread imo 

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You marched Cadets, but don't sell your former Corps short. They need your support now perhaps more than ever.

Is there a link to the article?  I just keep reading the same articles.  Thanks!!

1 minute ago, garfield said:

What you'd do is revealed here.  Hard to say what existing staff will do.  "Looking for another gig" in April is pretty tough.

Sticking with a corps through a bad situation and helping it recover some of its glory doesn't look bad on a resume, either.

Don't be so sure and, if you are, please tell me if the stock market will end the day higher or lower on Monday.  How about next Thursday?  We can see quickly how shiny your crystal ball is, and if we should pay attention to your prognostications.

I don’t believe DCI can’t levy a fine for this sort of thing. 

1 minute ago, garfield said:

You are correct. I don't have a crystal ball. But we have all seen the outcomes of these exact situations in recent times. We aren't special as an activity, and are far less powerful. I am highly concerned.

• Like 3