The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 hours ago, JMS1995 said:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/PhiladelphiaInquirer/Default.aspx

This appears to be the digital edition of the 2nd article, dated today.

I find the #meToo opinion piece on pg 9 to be particularly poignantly timed, but not finding any story on YEA!

Edited by garfield

16 hours ago, TRacer said:

DCI assessing a fine would be a tough call but I could see alumni coming together to address that ob$tacle.

I see more “sting” in the form of He Who Shall Not Be Named’s HOF induction being revoked. Championships being vacated would be another blow with no “new winner” declared in solo years (e.g., ‘87, ‘90, ‘93, etc.) and instead being noted with the dreaded asterisk while the “tie year” (‘00) would revert to the co-champion. Before I get flamed please note that while drastic this idea is not without precedent in college athletics, and since DCI bills itself as “Marching Music’s Major Leagues” internationally then drastic may be in order. 

The kids didn't do anything wrong.  GH wasn't able to clone himself 127-149 times and be the only performer on the field.  Also, not one case has been shown that any marching members were complicit.  In fact, some were his alleged victims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Shewhois said:

The question about if he had contact with members in the last two months is misleading.  His harassment/assault most recently seems to have been consistently toward women who are close to his age and were employees.  Not that that makes it better but he was not preying on women 20-30 years younger than he is. 

In at least one case (Meghan Healy), there was an age difference of over 20 years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

You are right but I'm talking about this particular issue and how it can go beyond Cadets

You are right about some of the wild stories.

Oh man... not to make light of a very serious issue, but that era... 60s-70s-into the 80s... a "frat house" atmosphere at times, with various people in various corps, for sure.

Not excusing any such behavior, at all. But it was a different world then.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Shewhois said:

The MM calling for this? This hasn’t been a part of the conversation my son and his fellow members have been having. Though others may be - I can speak to what he shares with me and at no point have I heard the kids say they won’t match unless the board resigns. For the record I believe the board should but let’s not use the current members as pawns to achieve an end. They want to compete. 

What is said in the heat of the moment and how one feels later can be two different things. I can imagine some going to this past weekend’s camp thinking GH is not the Cadets, this is not me, I want to be a part of this corps. Let’s get to work. Others could be stating the opposite and could very well be calling for drastic measures. However, if they were at the rehearsals this weekend, they want to march. While there is much to be encouraged by with this weekend’s camp, the later full corps camp at the end of April will be key. 

Strong reactions of today’s kids is often the norm. They are sometimes judged by the “Tide Pod” kids,  but I find young people opinionated and often with informed opinions. Sometimes they are off the wall and arrogant, but let’s face it, all of us were brilliant and everyone else was an ignorant fool when we were young. We also have to remember that these kids have grown up at a time when zero tolerance has been the practice, if it is violated the ax comes down hard, and not only the perpetrator but anyone who had any knowledge can be held responsible. 

My thought: the kids do want to compete and should compete,  but a good number probably do not believe that removing GH or have the board resign solves the problem. They will expect justice for the accusers and accountability. They see #metoo! and March for our Lives (and may have even participated). They’ll want action.  

• Like 1

VERY pleased to learn the Cadets had a fairly normal camp weekend. This morning, the Allentown Morning Call added a new piece to the story that speaks of a second, more apologetic message from the YEA Board.  An appropriate move, but I still believe the YEA umbrella group needs to be disbanded. The Cadets component is the utmost priority, together with its relationship to DCI.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... not to make light of a very serious issue, but that era... 60s-70s-into the 80s... a "frat house" atmosphere at times, with various people in various corps, for sure.

Not excusing any such behavior, at all. But it was a different world then.

That's putting it mildly..lol....Although even then rape or unwanted advances were still not acceptable as it shouldn't be but it's very hard to judge a person or situation from years ago ( not rape of course ) by todays standards. AS you said very different times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

What is said in the heat of the moment and how one feels later can be two different things. I can imagine some going to this past weekend’s camp thinking GH is not the Cadets, this is not me, I want to be a part of this corps. Let’s get to work. Others could be stating the opposite and could very well be calling for drastic measures. However, if they were at the rehearsals this weekend, they want to march. While there is much to be encouraged by with this weekend’s camp, the later full corps camp at the end of April will be key. 

Strong reactions of today’s kids is often the norm. They are sometimes judged by the “Tide Pod” kids,  but I find young people opinionated and often with informed opinions. Sometimes they are off the wall and arrogant, but let’s face it, all of us were brilliant and everyone else was an ignorant fool when we were young. We also have to remember that these kids have grown up at a time when zero tolerance has been the practice, if it is violated the ax comes down hard, and not only the perpetrator but anyone who had any knowledge can be held responsible. 

My thought: the kids do want to compete and should compete,  but a good number probably do not believe that removing GH or have the board resign solves the problem. They will expect justice for the accusers and accountability. They see #metoo! and March for our Lives (and may have even participated). They’ll want action.  

I would argue that nearly every single kid - other that seeing the news that Hop is gone - has no clue what any of this means (all of the drama with the board and such). 

When I was marching there was nothing in my brain except camp, show, horn, music, sleep. I understand I'm lucky my corps never went through anything like this, but even with the severity of the situation I would guess of the 150 MMs, 148 would pay 0 (or less) attention to the governance structure of the corps or its parent organization, and certainly didn't choose to march there because of it.

1 minute ago, Lead said:

I would argue that nearly every single kid - other that seeing the news that Hop is gone - has no clue what any of this means (all of the drama with the board and such). 

I don't think you're giving the kids enough credit for what they know.  When I was in HS 25+ years ago, there was a scandal with a teacher and a student.  And even then, I could figure out what was "bad" about it.  Kids are more savvy these days, access to more media input, and with the push from the #metoo movement, they are woke.  

• Like 1