The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

VERY pleased to learn the Cadets had a fairly normal camp weekend. This morning, the Allentown Morning Call added a new piece to the story that speaks of a second, more apologetic message from the YEA Board.  An appropriate move, but I still believe the YEA umbrella group needs to be disbanded. The Cadets component is the utmost priority, together with its relationship to DCI.   

the board will be replaced, the CEO has been replaced and the Director has been replaced. In many ways it is already a "new" organization already; however - if what you're suggesting is a "rebranding" of YEA! under a new corporate identity/name it's certainly something for them to consider. If I were the decision maker I'd probably do it - this fall or so after Band season is winding down. Would be just another step to create a new environment and persona top to bottom. JMO. Cadets do need an "umbrella" organization - the only thing making the #'s work is the band circuit - all other activities are money losers. Let's hope, whatever form things take going forward, the organization can finally realize the original "vision" in mind. Providing young adults the opportunity (through performance) to grow into magnificent humans. Certainly a worthy cause even more powerful and important than a chromatic scale and a "Z-pull"

• Like 3

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, but the safety of members is paramount. Why else have a number of corps, not to mention DCI, issued statements about their policies during the past few days? But you're right that the board should have kept him away from staff as well over the past two months.

Maybe to say "Look over there, not over here!".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lead said:

I would argue that nearly every single kid - other that seeing the news that Hop is gone - has no clue what any of this means (all of the drama with the board and such). 

When I was marching there was nothing in my brain except camp, show, horn, music, sleep. 

On tour things certainly settle in on "the day" - as it must to achieve such high levels of performance

However, young adults of today are (mostly) very savvy when it comes to these matters. They're no doubt well aware of the importance of a "full and adequate response" on the part of the organization. 

Hopefully by ST the basics are in place (new leadership, new board, new harassment training/policy etc) that the 2018 membership feels at ease, safe, protected and CAN focus on "the day" and leave other worries behind as they perform and practice from coast to coast this summer. I would imagine the true "evolution/revolution" at YEA will continue for the next several years

• Like 3

There are not any law suits, don’t really expect any  unless something more pops up so YEA has a lot of latitude in how they will address this which is maybe why it's so ham-fisted

My view on the 2018 membership is changing, YEA needs to do more

This George is not a Cadet thing, he use to say that too, he wouldn’t sing Holy name, had that changed?

2 minutes ago, cowtown said:

There are not any law suits, don’t really expect any  unless something more pops up so YEA has a lot of latitude in how they will address this which is maybe why it's so ham-fisted

My view on the 2018 membership is changing, YEA needs to do more

This George is not a Cadet thing, he use to say that too, he wouldn’t sing Holy name, had that changed?

When I marched (till 2013) he didn't sing the corps song. In fact, he got a lot of us all riled up that year by referring to our pre-show corps song ritual as "silly." 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Lead said:

I would argue that nearly every single kid - other that seeing the news that Hop is gone - has no clue what any of this means (all of the drama with the board and such). 

When I was marching there was nothing in my brain except camp, show, horn, music, sleep. I understand I'm lucky my corps never went through anything like this, but even with the severity of the situation I would guess of the 150 MMs, 148 would pay 0 (or less) attention to the governance structure of the corps or its parent organization, and certainly didn't choose to march there because of it.

Judging from what I’ve read, the kids did seem to focus on camp, show, horn, music, sleep, but to say they had no idea of GH being gone has to be wrong. I am an outsider to the Cadets, so any observations I have made are simply that, observations. However I have watched Cadets rehearse, GH was front and center. Talk to marching members, GH would constantly and usually glowingly, come up in conversations. His short comings were viewed as quirks. I thought he was too over the top and should have stepped aside years ago, but I did not expect we’d hear about the current allegations. I thought for all his faults he was totally devoted to the corps and kids. Of course this is true of most people accused of these crimes. 

If anything, I’d say they were very aware of everything that has happened, and pushed themselves all the more.

On 2018-04-07 at 6:24 PM, JMS1995 said:

Edited by ripper

59 minutes ago, rmm155 said:

I don't think you're giving the kids enough credit for what they know.  When I was in HS 25+ years ago, there was a scandal with a teacher and a student.  And even then, I could figure out what was "bad" about it.  Kids are more savvy these days, access to more media input, and with the push from the #metoo movement, they are woke.  

Agreed and if the kids somehow don’t know what is going then corps BoD needs to spell it out. Too much secrecy helped this mess continue and needs to end.

• Like 1

Safest Corps on the tour this season will be Cadets 

I would think this should not be of any concern to any members or parents based in the microscopic attention that will be upon the YEA org

Just now, ripper said:

Safest Corps on the tour this season will be Cadets 

I would think this should not be of any concern to any members or parents based in the microscopic attention that will be upon the YEA org

RIP rookie talent hahaha :( 

• Like 1