The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

28 minutes ago, c mor said:

Dan Acheson, executive director and CEO of Drum Corps International, told IndyStar he was deeply concerned and first learned of the allegations when the article published.

The organization is conducting an internal review to learn whether any employees knew of the allegations but failed to report them. It's also reviewing policies and procedures around reporting abuse, Acheson said. 

The employee handbook contains directions for Drum Corps International employees on how to report allegations, Acheson said. But now, the organization is reviewing how to create a similar process for those outside who are involved in drum corps groups, such as participants, their families or directors.

"We're making sure we have all of the right mechanisms in place," Acheson said. "We are taking this very seriously."

-----------------And then further down _______________________

Drum Corps International also is reviewing policies related to ensuring compliance with best practices and laws around reporting abuse for participating groups, Acheson said. 

Participating groups that fail to meet Drum Corps International's policies can lead to that group's dismissal.

The organization also is in contact with Youth Education in the Arts, Acheson said.

Thanks c mor, but again I'll ask, dismissed from what?  Participation in DCI events.

And I already stipulated that point.

It's not an unimportant issue because Brasso has consistently wanted to assign as obligations between corps and DCI what he thinks SHOULD be policy (and maybe now will become so when DCI is able to "...create similar processes..." for those others.

It's important because the Cadets circumstance is the focal point of the authority that Brasso says DCI has (but they really don't as of now).

Edited by garfield

2 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

actually, it does...when used properly. many schools self report, you just do not hear of those. 

All rules work, when followed properly. 

1 hour ago, PhillipMcKeown said:

The latest domino to fall. Looks like she is no longer on staff. Just noticed that she has been removed from the Cadets staff page: https://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/staff

correct - thank god. Oh look, it's April

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, c mor said:

Dan Acheson, executive director and CEO of Drum Corps International, told IndyStar he was deeply concerned and first learned of the allegations when the article published.

The organization is conducting an internal review to learn whether any employees knew of the allegations but failed to report them. It's also reviewing policies and procedures around reporting abuse, Acheson said. 

The employee handbook contains directions for Drum Corps International employees on how to report allegations, Acheson said. But now, the organization is reviewing how to create a similar process for those outside who are involved in drum corps groups, such as participants, their families or directors.

"We're making sure we have all of the right mechanisms in place," Acheson said. "We are taking this very seriously."

-----------------And then further down _______________________

Drum Corps International also is reviewing policies related to ensuring compliance with best practices and laws around reporting abuse for participating groups, Acheson said. 

Participating groups that fail to meet Drum Corps International's policies can lead to that group's dismissal.

The organization also is in contact with Youth Education in the Arts, Acheson said.

And, if you read this language:

"Drum Corps International also is reviewing policies related to ensuring compliance with best practices and laws around reporting abuse for participating groups, Acheson said", you'll be hard-pressed to find wording that indicates that "...reporting abuse..." stipulates reporting those incidents to DCI.  Rather, reporting best practices WITHIN the participating groups.

Big difference in this little point that Brasso is trying to make.

Don't think the wordsmiths aren't working overtime parsing every, single sentence to say exactly and carefully what they want reported.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, garfield said:

Here are the paragraphs from the Indy article that describe the policies that DCI has in place regarding this issue.  (Emphasis mine)

"Dan Acheson, executive director and CEO of Drum Corps International, told IndyStar he was deeply concerned and first learned of the allegations when the article published.

The employee handbook contains directions for Drum Corps International employees on how to report allegations, Acheson said. But now, the organization is reviewing how to create a similar process for those outside who are involved in drum corps groups, such as participants, their families or directors."

Apparently, DCI did not have policies at the time of these incidents that detailed what was to be done by non-DCI employees in such circumstances.

Just in case this is unclear to any readers.

My guess, just a guess, your misread of this might be the result that you did not read the entire article. Its  unambiguous ( to me anyway ) that when Dan states near the bottom paragraph of the article ( his words ) " participating groups ( DCI Corps, of course ) that fail to meet DCI policies( reporting policies,of course,) can lead to a groups dismissal in DCI ". The " group " is not " the group " at DCI HQ that might have failed to tell Dan ( to be determined ). The " Group " is the DCI Corps. Good lord ,Man. Give it up, as hopefully nobody here misunderstands that when Dan refers to a " groups dismissal "  as a potentrial consequence that he is not referring to his assistants in his office that answer the phone and open his mail with that. He mentions secondarily that he will hold anyone in his office responsible for not promptly notifying him if his internal audit dtermines this.; But please stop with your misguided insistence that Dan is somehow not referring to YEA/ Cadets here when he says that he" takes this matter seriously" and any failure to follow DCI' HQ reporting policies protoccol to DCI HQ could... could.. " lead to the group's dismissal in DCI ". Again, maybe you did not read the entire article..Otherwise, I can't account for your failure to understand what Dan is actually saying here to the Indy star and by extension, to the national media with this. Last week, your commentary ( still there ) implied that DCI  HQ had very little say on penalties. A read of this, and its quite clear that Dan is saying that DCI HQ has a lot of leverage, up to and including suspensions and expulsion from DCI for Corps that fail to follow prescribed procedures. So for educational and enlightenment purpose we as fans are leaning unmistakbly that at least in Dan A. view, DCI HQ is far from a rubber stamp, paper shuffling, HQ with not much authority to do much with Corps that fail to follow proper procedures, particularly as it relates to marcher safety issues.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Buffa's"

take the cannoli

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Don't think the wordsmiths aren't working overtime parsing every, single sentence to say exactly and carefully what they want reported.

Yes, I can see that for sure.

I posted directly because I thought each of you had points.

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

My guess, just a guess, your misread of this might be the result that you did not read the entire article. Its it unambiguous ( to me anyway ) that when Dan states near the bottom pragraph of the article ( his words ) " participating groups ( DCI Corps, of course ) that fail to meet DCI policies( reporting policies,of course,) can lead to a groups dismissal in DCI ". The " group " is not " the group " at DCI HQ that might have failed to tell Dan ( to be determined ). The " Group " is the DCI Corps. Good lord ,Man. Give it up, as hopefully nobody here misunderstands that when Dan refers to a " groups dismissal "  as a potentrial consequence that he is not referring to his assistants in his office that answer the phone and open his mail with that. He mentions secondarily that he will hold anyone in his office responsible for not promptly notifying him if his internal audit dtermines this.; But please stop with your misguided insistence that Dan is somehow not referring to YEA/ Cadets here when he says that he" takes this matter seriously" and any failure to follow DCI' HQ reporting policies protoccol to DCI HQ could... could.. " lead to the group's dismissal in DCI ". Again, maybe you did not read the entire article..Otherwise, I can't account for your failure to understand what Dan is actually saying here.

OK, anyone else want to try?

I'm exhausted.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, garfield said:

Technically, the "Paulie" reference came from Goodfellas, and "The family had lots of buffas" came from the Godfather, but they're both excellent and you are forgiven for confusing them.

II to be exact

• Like 1