The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

To clarify, it is a vote of the member corps that decides whether to expel one such corps from DCI membership.  That is not something Dan Acheson can do by himself, as the underlined words above seem to imply.

The process by which a Corps can be suspended by DCI HQ from competition is a bit unclear to me ( and I would assume to most here as well ). DCI has suspended Corps from competition within hours of being told of a Corps in non compliance with their rules.. and with no votes taken on the part of the other Corps in membership . DCI has stopped Corps on tours in the middle of the season, and sent the Corps home and itsmarchers home. No votes were taken by other Corps for this suspension from further competition. So its unclear at the moment when votes are needed, or not needed, in order for DCI HQ to intercede and suspend a Corps from further participation in DCI shows. I suppiose it depends on the set of circumstances and what their by laws state. DCI sent out a notice to the Bridgemen BITD  that they would be diaallowed from further participation at DCI Championships. No vote on the part of other Corps was taken. The Bridgemen immediately went into Court, and got a restraining order imposed on DCI HQ, that disallowed that... and the Bridgemen went out and performed . DCI decided it was in their authority then to not judge the Bridgemen in competition, ( The judges are DCI judges afterall ), and within their authority to disqualify the Bridgemen from a scored competition. Again, no votes by other Corps were needed for DCI HQ to dismiss a Corps from further competition in DCI. DCI in fact has dismissed from further competition a number of Corps over the years, sometimes right in the middle of the season, and without votes taken, and without a hearing. DCI has even set aside its rules in some unusual cases.  DCI  HQ ALLOWED a Corps to further participate in competition, despite it being non compliance for 99% of the season with its use of apparently unknown to staff overage marchers. The rule set aside was accomplished solely by the DCI Executive Director at the time, and no votes were taken by the DCI Corps to allow him to do a rule set aside either. That Corps then went out and won DCI the next nite, and  after he unilaterally did the rule set aside. So in summary, what DCI HQ can do without requiring the votes of other Corps clearly appears to be pretty extensive, and depends upon a number of factors it would appear.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

CALLING ALL CADET ALUMNI! After giving a sizeable donation to The Cadets yesterday (my first one in 26 years) I was alarmed to find out that they only have 300 alumni in their database. With the recent events of last week and today, it is time to change that.... and give.... to the organization that gave us all so much.

It automatically populates into their database.

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH EVERY CADET ALUM YOU KNOW. If a petition concerning our corps could get 4800 responses, I call upon my Cadet brothers and sisters of all generations to fill this out, then give when they finally do email you!
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Reason why bank employees have to take a week off according to a few I’ve spoken to

Yep, so someone else can do your job and make sure you're not doing anything fishy.

3 hours ago, Eleran said:

Do you EVER stop with the BS?    "AT THE MOMENT" you posted that, they had already resigned and the marching members on the leadership committee had already been informed.

oh please, hyperbole much ?..lol!...  Some Cadet Alums themselves were posting on social media as recently as last nite that YEA BOD is" digging in their heels and not about to resign ". I got a Pm on it too late last nite from a Cadet alum that the YEA BOD was resisting removal. So at best, it was a mixed signals we were all getting on social media. Go over to facebook, read the comments from Cadets Alums( supposedly in the know ) from YESTERDAY. Its all there still for anyone to read. Were these Cadets Alums " trolling " ?. I  don't think so. You handful of DCP'ers with the pitchforks out today need to take a chill pill, and relax.  Its a good day, better than yesterday. GH and his rubber stamping YEA BOD are history, and most everybody is happy  with the news, and the Cadets marchers/ staffers can move on without this cloud hanging over their heads. Your son is going to have a GREAT summer of Drum Corps marching the Cadets this summer, Eleran. 

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, NakedEye said:

At least since the very first day of the scandal the alumni had been all over this and doing outreach to organize a "shadow board" that could move in quickly. Considering the state of the organization and that there were rumors of the abuse situation for several months, I'm sure much had been going on behind the scenes for a while.

Aside from the tragedy of the sexual harassment problems, Hopkins' iron fist had been such a tremendous impediment to the success of YEA for a long time, and many people knew that and were trying to be prepared when the time came.

As others have noted, how refreshing is it to see a coherent, professional press release for the FIRST TIME in the entire history of the organization?!

It's a new day. If they new leadership can deal effectively with the abuse problems, they have a chance to actually transform into the education powerhouse it was always intended to be, but never achieved, largely due to self-inflicted wounds.

I just saw a call online to get alumni to sign up for the database as they only had 300 names.

wow.

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

Everything I heard was the opposite. "Sit tight, things are happening, you'll hear something soon"

That’s correct

Resignations happened over the weekend and the replacement initial membership lined up, then press release drafted and signed off on

this aspect seems to have been handled quite effectively imo 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You handful of DCP'ers with the pitchforks out today need to take a chill pill, and relax.  ... Your son is going to have a GREAT summer of Drum Corps marching the Cadets this summer

Not, apparently, if people think like you do and keep bring up suspension from DCI of the corps itself.

50 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The process by which a Corps can be suspended by DCI HQ from competition is a bit unclear to me ( and I would assume to most here as well ). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

oh please, hyperbole much ?..lol!...  Some Cadet Alums themselves were posting on social media as recently as last nite that YEA BOD is" digging in their heels and not about to resign ". I got a Pm on it too late last nite from a Cadet alum that the YEA BOD was resisting removal. So at best, it was a mixed signals we were all getting on social media. Go over to facebook, read the comments from Cadets Alums( supposedly in the know ) from YESTERDAY. Its all there still for anyone to read. Were these Cadets Alums " trolling " ?. I  don't think so. You handful of DCP'ers with the pitchforks out today need to take a chill pill, and relax.  Its a good day, better than yesterday. GH and his rubber stamping YEA BOD are history, and most everybody is happy  with the news, and the Cadets marchers/ staffers can move on without this cloud hanging over their heads. Your son is going to have a GREAT summer of Drum Corps marching the Cadets this summer, Eleran. 

there was some uneccesary drama last night on social media, but only partial information was getting out.

As I stated before, replacing a board has to be done carefully AND legally, and working through those issues added some delay to the result everyone wanted.  

so bottom line....the old board is out. time to move onto the other many issues the new board has to do with, and if the old board is found liable for anything, let the authorities sort it out

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Many alumni long wanted change, and i am sure a lot of manuevering was happening behind the scenes as the rumor spread. it was the worst kept secret in drum corps since the Januals

Many Cadets alums wanted Hopkins removed years ago. No secret there. His alleged sexual crimes committed over the last 3 decades there finally gave them the reason that would allow them to oust him. These former Cadets that were victimized by GH  came forth as a group effort, and thus more than likely organized and assisted by other Cadets alums in the main.  ( good for them ). But you would know more about this far better than me, Jeff.

Edited by BRASSO

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Going into lurk mode for a while. I have no business wasting people's, or my, time just BS'ing now (a nod to whomever it was who gave me a verbal neck-jerk last night. Very right.).

There's not much happening on the subject out in public and not much to BS about.

Timing!