The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

The process by which a Corps can be suspended by DCI HQ from competition is a bit unclear to me ( and I would assume to most here as well ). DCI has suspended Corps from competition within hours of being told of a Corps in non compliance with their rules.. and with no votes taken on the part of the other Corps in membership . DCI has stopped Corps on tours in the middle of the season, and sent the Corps home and itsmarchers home. No votes were taken by other Corps for this suspension from further competition. So its unclear at the moment when votes are needed, or not needed, in order for DCI HQ to intercede and suspend a Corps from further participation in DCI shows. I suppiose it depends on the set of circumstances and what their by laws state. DCI sent out a notice to the Bridgemen BITD  that they would be diaallowed from further participation at DCI Championships. No vote on the part of other Corps was taken. The Bridgemen immediately went into Court, and got a restraining order imposed on DCI HQ, that disallowed that... and the Bridgemen went out and performed . DCI decided it was in their authority then to not judge the Bridgemen in competition, ( The judges are DCI judges afterall ), and within their authority to disqualify the Bridgemen from a scored competition. Again, no votes by other Corps were needed for DCI HQ to dismiss a Corps from further competition in DCI. DCI in fact has dismissed from further competition a number of Corps over the years, sometimes right in the middle of the season, and without votes taken, and without a hearing. DCI has even set aside its rules in some unusual cases.  DCI  HQ ALLOWED a Corps to further participate in competition, despite it being non compliance for 99% of the season with its use of apparently unknown to staff overage marchers. The rule set aside was accomplished solely by the DCI Executive Director at the time, and no votes were taken by the DCI Corps to allow him to do a rule set aside either. That Corps then went out and won DCI the next nite, and  after he unilaterally did the rule set aside. So in summary, what DCI HQ can do without requiring the votes of other Corps clearly appears to be pretty extensive, and depends upon a number of factors it would appear.

All that you refer to in this post are age rule violations.  True, DCI staff are empowered to enforce contest rules.  But there is nothing in the rulebook about sexually abusive corps directors.

22 minutes ago, garfield said:

So...hard...to...resist...the...temptation...

Hey, I'm Hop!

(too early?)

Glad your self imposed leave from posting on DCP was short lived ( 2 hours ? )... lol!.. but seriously though,' glad you;re back posting. No need to leave. This is a discussion board. All manner of views , subject to DCP posting guidelines, should be entertained, and all comments from a wide range of perspectives, diverse posters, etc allowed to be encouraged and fostered. 

25 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

All that you refer to in this post are age rule violations.  True, DCI staff are empowered to enforce contest rules.  But there is nothing in the rulebook about sexually abusive corps directors.

While true, it would seem that DCI HQ takes sexual abuse allegations a bit higher in their priorities for its Corps to follow with policies, including reporting policies, than the rules violation of the allegation charge of utilizing overage marchers. Reading the Executive Director of DCI's comments to the Indy star reporter tells us this as much too when he says that we take " this matter seriously ", and with the  failure to follow DCI reporting rules can lead to " a group's dismissal ". For historical contest here, there was nothing in the DCI " rulebook " per se in 1989, that allowed DCI HQ to do a set aside on their rules,  and by directive, allow a Corps to compete in competition, despite that Corps in clear violation of the DCI " rulebook " for 27 of their 28 competition shows in which that Corps was judged in that season. All we can say here with some degree of confidence is that DCI HQ has much broader powers to exert its powers over Corps and participation than some here on DCP seemingly had as their belief and as recently as last week. Its really unclear to me what DCI HQ can do . But its clear to me that DCI HQ has a lot of power , as evidenced by how they have exercised that power historically as the need arose in the past... and without a single vote taken by anyone or any Corps outside of the DCI HQ too.

Edited by BRASSO

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Imagine installing a BOD without resorting to ads in Drum Corps World...who knew? :laughing:

All I know is that DM was a stud as a member, so I’m delighted to say the least

and the very best press release from YEA since ever 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not just him but point taken. 

Yeah unfortunately the other thug found a home elsewhere in our activity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Some unfamiliar with Drum Corps might see George Hopkins as what the Drum Corps activity is all about.

Even some people who are familiar have seen him as that... given his penchant for being the lightning rod holder on the lightning rod issues.  Most people might not even know the name of another DCI corps director easily....

Hopefully some of the people that have been shunned over the years find their way back with welcome arms. It's a shame how many bridges were burned. This organization has produced so many remarkable musicians, teachers, educators, and leaders; the sky is the limit in what they can achieve 

Personally, I'm much more inclined to volunteer after these changes have been made

• Like 6