The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, ebo said:

Well that kinda proves that when she went to her before he took her seriously. Maybe she said it in passing or in a way that Sean didn't know the serious of her concerns.  If she also wasn't afraid to tell Sean and so called jeopardize her job as she has claimed. They why didn't she go to the police when she says he raped her?  This all has questions that need to be investigated.  Sean denies that she told him and based on the other actions he took and his great character I believe him.  

If that's the case, then it will be proven in the investigation.  You can choose to believe him, however, the BoD no longer has that luxury to trust his reputation.  GH and the BoD ruined that for everyone involved.

if you want to rail against anyone, it should be them.  The current BoD will perform their due diligence.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

He took her seriously THAT time... and investigation will check on the other... 

And his name will be cleared.  That I know! 

Just now, GUARDLING said:

I believe so. I have been on both sides of that coin and it could sting for sure. Now (for me anyway )  depending what side I was sitting on, I encouraged someone to make their points and myself have fought for what I wanted BUT have had to cut things off for whatever reason or got cut off so things move forward.

My early days with DCA's Sunrisers, our main visual guy Gene Bennett did a really good job of filling the "that guy" role at various times. With that booming voice and authoritative presence, when he spoke up, everyone... staff and members... listened. My rookie season, it took me several months to get over being scared to death of him. LOL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ebo said:

Well that kinda proves that when she went to her before he took her seriously. Maybe she said it in passing or in a way that Sean didn't know the serious of her concerns.  If she also wasn't afraid to tell Sean and so called jeopardize her job as she has claimed. They why didn't she go to the police when she says he raped her?  This all has questions that need to be investigated.  Sean denies that she told him and based on the other actions he took and his great character I believe him.  

She didn't come forward for the reasons that have been enumerated ad nauseam.

Stop it.

39 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

I don't see how they twisted anything to make you appear to support GH.  They just said in this current climate we have to take the victims at 100% of their word.

Because the poster said this:  ".....there are too many alleged victims with similar stories to discount the possibility that George is guilty of these acts. "  I have not seen that EBO has remotely defended George, just Sean. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It’s been well known that YEA has been a dysfunctional-### organization for years. 

The Cadets as a corps has also been pretty dysfunctional as hell, thanks to Hop. 

Why people decided to work there is beyond me. It has been established as a hellhole, a place where the boss had zero regard for you, your life, and basically anyone else except himself and donors. Why did people keep coming? 

And that’s not to place any blame on the real victims/heroes here: the ones who were victimized by Hop and were brave enough to come out and say something about it. As well as the poor kids who will be marching with them this summer. 

I just don’t understand it.

Reading those brutal Glassdoor reviews about YEA gave me a bit of a clue as to why various people went to work there.  The overriding theme I caught from them was... they really did believe in the mission of helping young people grow through participation in the performing arts.

An admirable goal.... but of course, believing in a mission and having to deal with a dysfunctional ####-show every day of the week are two different things. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

Just now, Fran Haring said:

Reading those brutal Glassdoor reviews about YEA gave me a bit of a clue as to why various people went to work there.  The overriding theme I caught from them was... they really did believe in the mission of helping young people grow through participation in the performing arts.

An admirable goal.... but of course, believing in a mission and having to deal with a dysfunctional shitshow every day of the week are two different things. LOL.

There are so many more avenues out there to accomplish the same goal that doesn’t have the online blackmark that YEA! did. 

A lot of the time I’ve heard employees to be initially charmed by Hop’s charisma, which I personally have never understood because he’s always come off as a creepy weirdo to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

There are so many more avenues out there to accomplish the same goal that doesn’t have the online blackmark that YEA! did. 

A lot of the time I’ve heard employees to be initially charmed by Hop’s charisma, which I personally have never understood because he’s always come off as a creepy weirdo to me. 

I hear ya.  And I agree with you, I shake my head sometimes. He's not exactly Zig Ziglar when it comes to sheer presence.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

After catching up on all of today's headlines, a few things:

I don't get the hysteria over the King suspension. He was named in the article; there was absolutely no other course of action for the board to take. If they don't do everything 200% right between now and the start of the season, erring dramatically on the side of caution, DCI prevents Cadets from marching. Period.

Suspension during investigation is completely appropriate. Also, he is the "interim" CEO, and hadn't he just resigned/announced he was leaving a few weeks before this all exploded anyway? He was put into this new role by the now-defunct board. After the investigation, even if he is cleared of everything and is a fantastic person, it would not be a shocking move if it was agreed upon by all parties that finding a new person, who had not previously been a part of YEA, to fill the role is the best way to move forward.

Having once worked for a Hopkins-esque character, I do get how a lot of stuff gets brushed aside in a office where inappropriate behavior, demeaning comments, affairs by the boss with employees, etc., is a daily and continuing situation. That doesn't make it right, but so many people are  just trying to do their jobs and if everyone is getting treated badly, unless something gets to an extreme level (where we are now), people don't always speak up, but just keep their heads down and try to get through it.

That won't be the case ever again at YEA, but I do see how things got to the point of being mishandled in the past.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Most employees come in straight out of college or not long out of corps.  You don't know about the blackmark you know that it has a reputation for a lot of hardwork and you think "I can work hard. I have passion and am willing to work hard to give others the same great experiences i had. how can working in an office be harder than what i did on a field for 3 years?"  

If you want to be a part of creating marching band and corps experiences as your full time job and you're not a teacher there are not alot of options in the industry. YEA, BOA, DCI... everything else is part time or run by teachers.  A couple of the other corps have full time staff but not many like this.  It's all about trying to find a job that fits what you care about and thinking that it can't be that bad and you are strong enough especially if you care enough about the kids.

• Like 1