The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

A lot of the time I’ve heard employees to be initially charmed by Hop’s charisma, which I personally have never understood because he’s always come off as a creepy weirdo to me. 

What gave you that impression, the meandering, unshaven Facebook Live broadcasts with the horror movie Dark Shadows lighting? :4_joy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of the challenges drum corps could face in light of sexual assault cases is it is such a small and insular community. When it comes to Cadets, so many people in the activity have either marched with them or instructed them, finding people who are not connected to the corps would be a challenge. I do not know Mr. King and given the praise he has received from many posters who have good reputations on DCP for fairness and knowledge of the activity, he may be of exemplary character. The accusation of not reporting has to be taken seriously as well and has to be investigated. This is exactly why whoever is appointed to replace Mr. King should be independent of YEA and Cadets. To say YEA via the Cadets produced some of drum corps greatest moments is an understatement, but it is also an understatement to say the organization under the direction of GH was dysfunctional. An outsider is needed, at least temporarily, to steer the ship in the right direction. Those inside are too caught up in the mess. I do not say this to be critical of folks who are generous and want to give kids the opportunity of drum corps, but it is human nature to want to fix things and sometimes the best way to fix things is to admit you can’t and you need help.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It’s been well known that YEA has been a dysfunctional-### organization for years. 

The Cadets as a corps has also been pretty dysfunctional as hell, thanks to Hop. 

Why people decided to work there is beyond me. It has been established as a hellhole, a place where the boss had zero regard for you, your life, and basically anyone else except himself and donors. Why did people keep coming? 

And that’s not to place any blame on the real victims/heroes here: the ones who were victimized by Hop and were brave enough to come out and say something about it. As well as the poor kids who will be marching with them this summer. 

I just don’t understand it.

All your answers are pretty easy. People gravitate to success. Tell me what kid if asked , even knowing what a hell hole it might be wouldn't take a teaching job there or any top corps if asked. People in life do alot of things to climb ladders.  People also almost always think, it won't happen to me ( and it does )

Now for me , as I stated early in this thread I was asked 5 or 6 years ago to work with the organization BUT I'm not someone  and possibly  a nieve staff person needing a job or looking to climb some ladder, so when I came to my senses I declined, even I was tempted, for a hot 2 seconds..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Why people decided to work there is beyond me. It has been established as a hellhole, a place where the boss had zero regard for you, your life, and basically anyone else except himself and donors. Why did people keep coming? 

There are people like Jeff and myself who have tried to say something for some time to people. In the case of the Cadets, their brand is very powerful to a lot of kids who want "The Cadets Experience" and we're just a couple of old guys who just aren't fans of the corps, I guess. In the case of YEA, I think some of it could be the idea that they can go in and make a difference since they're young, positive, and energetic. One of them I know for certain felt this way going in. One of these was a former student who marched several years for Cadets and did their age out for Crown when they were under YEA directorship because they needed his talent and experience. I know he was more or less totally bought into the scene. As an aside, I wonder what he thinks about it all now.

In Jeff and my case... there might also be an impression from those we tried to warn we had a negative attitude  because of vested/competing interests. From me, that wasn't what really drove it. If getting a job with the "competition" puts food on the table for you and your family, I have no beef with that. You have to eat! It was more knowing what I knew, and seeing the repeated pattern of people headed in and out. I think when you're young you figure you won't end up like that, you'll do better and prove me wrong.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

My early days with DCA's Sunrisers, our main visual guy Gene Bennett did a really good job of filling the "that guy" role at various times. With that booming voice and authoritative presence, when he spoke up, everyone... staff and members... listened. My rookie season, it took me several months to get over being scared to death of him. LOL.

lol..I've worked with Gene and on both sides of that coin. Great guy, You're right too.lol

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

One of the challenges drum corps could face in light of sexual assault cases is it is such a small and insular community. When it comes to Cadets, so many people in the activity have either marched with them or instructed them, finding people who are not connected to the corps would be a challenge. I do not know Mr. King and given the praise he has received from many posters who have good reputations on DCP for fairness and knowledge of the activity, he may be of exemplary character. The accusation of not reporting has to be taken seriously as well and has to be investigated. This is exactly why whoever is appointed to replace Mr. King should be independent of YEA and Cadets. To say YEA via the Cadets produced some of drum corps greatest moments is an understatement, but it is also an understatement to say the organization under the direction of GH was dysfunctional. An outsider is needed, at least temporarily, to steer the ship in the right direction. Those inside are too caught up in the mess. I do not say this to be critical of folks who are generous and want to give kids the opportunity of drum corps, but it is human nature to want to fix things and sometimes the best way to fix things is to admit you can’t and you need help.

I completely disagree. You seem to want to cast/assign blame to everyone in YEA/Cadets for the actions of 1 individual. Let's not do that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

So are you accusing the mods of not doing their job? Sounds like it. 

Cappy,

The report feature is there because mods are not online 24/7, and even when reading a thread may miss improper posts. The posting is so fast and furious in this thread  it is double easy to miss something. I have no issue with anyone reporting a post. At least it brings it to heightened attention for review. 

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Unless it is something ordered by the legal system, how would a ban be enforced?

nm

Edited by HockeyDad

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There are so many more avenues out there to accomplish the same goal that doesn’t have the online blackmark that YEA! did. 

A lot of the time I’ve heard employees to be initially charmed by Hop’s charisma, which I personally have never understood because he’s always come off as a creepy weirdo to me. 

So now we are judging any and all individuals who have ever chosen to work with YEA or the Cadets? I mean, let's get over ourselves and perhaps realize (and respect) that individuals make their own choices for many reasons. There are many who have worked with YEA and greatly benefitted from it. Cadets are among the most recognized marching-music entities in the world - the chance to work with such a group is a huge benefit to those who have done so - be it just a "resume" builder or skill set gain. Many stayed for decades with the Cadets (working alongside Hopkins) and reportedly enjoyed the experience. So there ya go.

Generalizations and hyperbole isn't going to solve this issue

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said.

You're right... there has to be that one person who is the tie-breaker... the one who will say "OK... it's gonna be done THIS way.... got it?" 

Without that, you risk complete chaos and a lot of wasted time, for the staff and the members.

I love the way you guys are able to calmly carry on a separate conversation while tornados full of knives are flying all around.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2