The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

It’s been well known that YEA has been a dysfunctional-### organization for years. 

The Cadets as a corps has also been pretty dysfunctional as hell, thanks to Hop. 

Why people decided to work there is beyond me. It has been established as a hellhole, a place where the boss had zero regard for you, your life, and basically anyone else except himself and donors. Why did people keep coming? 

And that’s not to place any blame on the real victims/heroes here: the ones who were victimized by Hop and were brave enough to come out and say something about it. As well as the poor kids who will be marching with them this summer. 

I just don’t understand it.

the access to a top program and top people.

we ask all the time "why did so and so go work for such and such politician?"

same thing

There are so many more avenues out there to accomplish the same goal that doesn’t have the online blackmark that YEA! did. 

A lot of the time I’ve heard employees to be initially charmed by Hop’s charisma, which I personally have never understood because he’s always come off as a creepy weirdo to me. 

he's a great salesman. he has to be with that office turnover ratio.

So are you accusing the mods of not doing their job? Sounds like it. 

the mods arent always here 24/7 like you think. they have real jobs and real lives, and in a thread like this, with so many frequently moving parts, the report button is usually the only way to get a specific post.

personally I would have just said "hey Meyer you jeans ironing pants ripping llama boy, chill the #### out".

but then again i know him

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I completely disagree. You seem to want to cast/assign blame to everyone in YEA/Cadets for the actions of 1 individual. Let's not do that. 

i kinda get the concern. In Cadets, it's all about all Cadets all the time.....and right now.....who trusts the Cadets?

18 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Sometimes, when I read people talking about the Cadets, I get a strong impression of "Cadets Exceptionalism".  A lot of people who have worked with other corps can say the same things about "resume building" and "skill set gains".  So, what is it about the Cadets that is/was different from--say--Blue Devils or Crown or Santa Clara?  What was truly unique to the Cadets?

And whatever that "thing" is, does it have any relevance to what has unfolded over the last week?

A large number of them are Cadets alumni. You don't see why someone would want to work for the drum corps they marched?

Location is also a factor, not everyone lives in Concord or Santa Clara, someone might live in Pennsylvania and want to work for a drum corps. Not to mention there are a limited number of corps, especially top corps, and a limited number of jobs at those corps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Or, as it is known in the industry, chareepsma.

Man, cool. I didn't know there was a special term for it. I've had to describe this kind of phenomenon to people several times...:worthy:

• Haha 1

I still think there are going to be a lot of people in the teaching profession that knew of GH reputation. Does that make them guilty? IMHO not if they had indirect knowledge. Such as they heard he was a creep or was told to stay away from him because he was creepy. 

Ive heard that said about various friends and or people I have marched with  over the years and have never seen that side of them and it never stopped me from being friends with them.So I can't really say that makes them guilty. 

Now if they had knowledge of some of allegations and did nothing... Such as the Sandusky case where people were informed of GH acts and buried it or stood by and did nothing..then they need to let the chips fall as they may.  

54 minutes ago, camel lips said:

IMMA still willing for time for the investigation to conclude but day by day with more victims coming forward with what appears to be credible accounts with dates and information... people with what appears to be good morals that did not come forward before because they did not want to see The Cadets and Drum corps go down With GH..... It make one wonder if there is not alot of truth to the allegations. 

I gotta say it sucks to be George Hopkins right now. 

it is entirely possible to be truthful an not want to see an organization go down in flames. been there with a drum corps myself...knew the truth, didnt do what should have been done. Granted, nothing like this in terms of the issue, but bad enough

36 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Sometimes, when I read people talking about the Cadets, I get a strong impression of "Cadets Exceptionalism".  A lot of people who have worked with other corps can say the same things about "resume building" and "skill set gains".  So, what is it about the Cadets that is/was different from--say--Blue Devils or Crown or Santa Clara?  What was truly unique to the Cadets?

And whatever that "thing" is, does it have any relevance to what has unfolded over the last week?

when you're a Cadet, you're a Cadet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dyin day 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the mods arent always here 24/7 like you think. they have real jobs and real lives, and in a thread like this, with so many frequently moving parts, the report button is usually the only way to get a specific post.

personally I would have just said "hey Meyer you jeans ironing pants ripping llama boy, chill the #### out".

but then again i know him

I say this with all the love and respect I can possibly muster.

#### you Ream! :tongue:

• Haha 2